Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine

3 posters

Go down

Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine Empty Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine

Post  FrankP999 Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:39 pm

I have a black pine that I bought last winter. The trunk is fine and I had plenty of candles. However, the branches generally are a bit leggy so I need to "chase back" the growth pushing it back toward the trunk. I know fertilizing after de-candling is a no-no generally to keep the next generation of needles short.

I have de-candled and done a little bit of cut back where the branches had some growth closer to the trunk already.

In my case, I don't care about the length of the new needles. I just want a lot of them to grow so I get stringer branches and hopefulluy more back buds. Given this goal, can I continue fertilizing to push the growth?

Thanks,

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine Empty Re: Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine

Post  Leo Schordje Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:30 pm

yep, you can keep pushing the tree. Needle reduction is really only needed once the tree is ready for its final design and when it is ready to go into a bonsai pot. When just trying to get branches and thicken trunks and branches, don't worry about needle length.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine Empty Re: Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine

Post  marcus watts Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 am

totally agree with leo,
my Blackpine has bags of organic, liquid feeds of high nitrogen and foliar feeds too. this is following a big repot in spring and removal of 99% of the old needles - after wiring the entire tree many new buds are forming. I'll keep this feeding up for 3 years at least

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 am

Thanks. I thought it would be ok to continue fertilizing.

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down