Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone worked with these Elms?

2 posters

Go down

Has anyone worked with these Elms? Empty Has anyone worked with these Elms?

Post  Mr. Carter Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 pm

I recently came upon an abundance of smaller elms, growing under larger ones, at a friends tree nursery. He said I was more than welcome to take as many as I wanted...so I did. I wasn't sure about the variety, but after talking to him today I found out that they were three different kinds growing out there. So I have Drake, Bosque, and Allee elms. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them.
Mr. Carter
Mr. Carter

Back to top Go down

Has anyone worked with these Elms? Empty Re: Has anyone worked with these Elms?

Post  Mr. Carter Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:39 pm

A few google searches and I still don't know much about these particular trees, at least not as bonsai. I have found that they're all Ulmus Parvifolia, but maybe American made varieties? There is definitely some differences between the plants that I collected. Some of them have ridiculously tiny leaves, maybe an eighth of an inch. I'm nit sure if that's a trait they have, or maybe the result of them being mowed down multiple times, but it seems like with leaves that small, they could turn out okay.
Mr. Carter
Mr. Carter

Back to top Go down

Has anyone worked with these Elms? Empty worked with 100's of these great material

Post  BigDave Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 am

Mr. Carter wrote:A few google searches and I still don't know much about these particular trees, at least not as bonsai. I have found that they're all Ulmus Parvifolia, but maybe American made varieties? There is definitely some differences between the plants that I collected. Some of them have ridiculously tiny leaves, maybe an eighth of an inch. I'm nit sure if that's a trait they have, or maybe the result of them being mowed down multiple times, but it seems like with leaves that small, they could turn out okay.
congrats on the free Elms, a very lucky thing indeed

Surprised
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Carter Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:44 am

Yeah I know! Even though I haven't seen anyone use these varieties in bonsai, I still think I came out okay. I got close to fifty of these things! One thing I'm worried about is, they were everywhere, I mean all over the place...almost like weeds. I'm hoping they don't take over my dads yard.
Mr. Carter
Mr. Carter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down