Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ficus - what to do with large flat cut

5 posters

Go down

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Empty ficus - what to do with large flat cut

Post  theBalance Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:28 pm

hi friends !

I’ve obtained 2 Ficus trees with a GREAT nebari …
Both of the trees have a very large ( cut diameter = 14 cm ) flat cut – that were done with a chain saw by the previous owner ( a regular nursery ).
Now if it was a hard wood tree, then there was no problem I would carve the cuts and make them part of the design.
But what do I do with a ficus ( that is rotting very easily ) in this situation Sad ?

help from ficus experts will be VERY welcome Shocked
Alon
theBalance
theBalance

Back to top Go down

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Empty Re: ficus - what to do with large flat cut

Post  Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi The Ballance

If I am an expert in ficus?, I dont really know...But rotten wood is something else...
I would remove wood, and carve something nice soft and beliveable between the trunk and the branches, and make a beginning of a hollow trunk. Leave the wood to rot, when it is rotted enough to look real, can you give it wood "woodharder", this will stop the proses, or at least slow it dawn a LOT.

You can also carve something believeable as you say, and then give the wood invisible "woodharder"....But I cant remember, I ever saw a ficus with deadwood....so, I would prefer the hollow trunk.

Kind regards Yvonne....Walter Pall sell the " woodharder"

Back to top Go down

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Empty Re: ficus - what to do with large flat cut

Post  theBalance Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:11 pm

hi Yvonne ,

10x so much for your prompt reply...

your suggestions will solve the problem I am facing, BUT due to the softness of the ficus wood I will need to use a LOT of wood hardner...and I think it will slow the process just a bit...
so your reply is actually helping me to refine my question...

is there a solution / technique that will not require the use of a wood hardner...

maybe there is no choice but let the wood rot..so it will become hollow trunk ? maybe there is a technique to "help" the tree close the cut ?

I am sure I am not the only one facing a ficus with large flat cut Very Happy

alon
theBalance
theBalance

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:18 pm

I would need to see photos then...but a hollow you can se from the outside is not that bad, it is a matter of a nice opening of the trunk from the outside.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Empty Flat Cut

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Definitely show us pictures.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Empty pictures

Post  theBalance Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 am

hi,

i'm attaching an image of one of the ficus
so you can see an example...of the challenge I am facing...

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Ficus10

again - the main question is not what design will you make of the attached tree
but
what are the options I have with ficus with such cuts

10x!
alon
theBalance
theBalance

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:40 am

This one would I let grow and see where it shoots. And then show photos again.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Empty this is another riddle

Post  theBalance Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 pm

the attached picture was taken 1 month ago, after I did complete deflotation...
the only place the tree grows new shoots is from the same plave in this picture
altougth all the trunk is green - it doesn't shoot from no other place

very strange...
but given this is the only place he is shooting - what will you do ?

10x!
alon
theBalance
theBalance

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Another option would be to make a rounded, hollowed cut, slanted so water doesn't stay on it. It looks from the picture that this would have he added benefit of eliminating some obvious reverse taper.

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Jun32

I don't think you said what kind of fig this was, but I have several chopped figs and am getting little or no rot. The chops on mine were, however, more diagonal. This picture was taken was several years ago, but several years after the cut. The tree is MUCH smaller than yours, but I have always lived in very humid, rainy environments and have had no rot. It is a willow-leaf fig.

ficus - what to do with large flat cut F_neri10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:24 pm

JimLewis wrote:Another option would be to make a rounded, hollowed cut, slanted so water doesn't stay on it.

Jim,

This is a mistake. Ficus cambium needs wood to grow over. Hollowing the cut will only produce healing tissue to a certain point, only stopping right before the deepest areas of the hollow. Flat cuts work better. You are right bout one thing. The trees overall structure might be improoved by eliminating some of the redundant portions you mention. Instead of a V cut, a flat angle cut will be better suited for this tree.

From the looks of the bark, it is probably in the benjamina family.

Regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  theBalance Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:16 pm

hi Jose,

10x for your inputs...

first of all - an updated image from yesterday
ficus - what to do with large flat cut Ficus_10

you are correct - it is from the benjamina family - a varaity we call "natasha".

jose - can you please help me understand 2 things :
1. you basicly say that : "Ficus cambium needs wood to grow over" - does this mean that what ever surface I will create, evantually the cambium in the edges will grow over it ? even if it is a huge area ?
2. do you have any idea why the ficus is growing branches from only one place ? altougth all the trunk is green and alive ? and what can I do to "force" him to grow branches from the "other" thick branch. - just for clarification - the "continue" of the "other" thick branch was dead and was removed like you can see here :

ficus - what to do with large flat cut 2012_011

ficus - what to do with large flat cut 2012_012

the trunk is green !

ficus - what to do with large flat cut 2012_013

10x very much!
alon

Last edited by theBalance on Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
theBalance
theBalance

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Alon,

Members of the Benjamina family are a bit uneasy and finnicky when it comes to branch production. If you wish to have branches grow from the left side in terms of developing a strong second trunk/left branch, I suggest for you to approach graft a branch in that point. With the strong development you have of young shoots, this should be easy to perform.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Empty Flat Cut

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Yes. I have a 'Kiki' with gaps in the trunk. I will probably have to thread graft it.
However, I have a standard variegated F. benjamina (houseplant) that had a long trunk with no branches near the bottom. Wouldn't bud back after drastic pruning. I finally got disgusted and chopped it a few inches from the bottom. Low and bee holed, it put out a shoot & is growing into a new tree.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  theBalance Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Iris & Jose - regarding the grafting I agree - will need to decide if thread or approch, 10x very much for sharing your expirience Very Happy

Jose - regarding what you said about "ficus cambium grows over dead wood"
please look at another ficus ( same variety ) - if I understand correctly from what you said in the future the "dead wood" areas will be "covered" with live tisue ?

ficus - what to do with large flat cut 2012_014

close up on one of the "dead wood" spots :

ficus - what to do with large flat cut 2012_015

ficus - what to do with large flat cut 2012_016

10x!
alon
theBalance
theBalance

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 pm

theBalance wrote:Iris & Jose - regarding the grafting I agree - will need to decide if thread or approch, 10x very much for sharing your expirience Very Happy

please look at another ficus ( same variety ) - if I understand correctly from what you said in the future the "dead wood" areas will be "covered" with live tisue ?

Alon,

Yes, but only if you place it in a large pot and let it grow.

Regards,

Jose Luis

10x!
alon
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Ẩn khách Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:25 pm

theBalance wrote:Iris & Jose - regarding the grafting I agree - will need to decide if thread or approch, 10x very much for sharing your expirience Very Happy

10x!
alon
With this Ficus you should remove the item to the fresh wood. Like so do jin. Do not worry after this it will be pulled quickly scars. And created a strange definition on the trunk that you own.

Ẩn khách

Back to top Go down

ficus - what to do with large flat cut Empty Ẩn khách

Post  theBalance Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:29 pm

hi Ẩn khách,

my friend, I didn't fully understand your advise...was it to injure the tree until I reach a living tissue ? if so - where ? on the dead surface or on the edges where the tree is forming a new tissue

10x !
alon
theBalance
theBalance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down