Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California Juniper

+5
Steven
CraftyTanuki
marcus watts
mike page
dinh
9 posters

Go down

California Juniper  Empty California Juniper

Post  dinh Fri May 04, 2012 10:58 pm

I have this California Juniper for quite some time, plan to re-design and find a new pot for it. Since many bonsai masters here, I would love to hear your input. Here are few pictures.

Thanks much in advance.

Best,
--Dinh

California Juniper  Junipe15

California Juniper  Junipe14

dinh

Back to top Go down

California Juniper  Empty Re: California Juniper

Post  mike page Fri May 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi Dinh
Before making any comments, I would like to see views of the tree against a plain background. Too much going on in the current images.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:19 am

mike page wrote:Hi Dinh
Before making any comments, I would like to see views of the tree against a plain background. Too much going on in the current images.

Mike

Sorry for late response. Here are few pictures from different angles.

Best,
--Dinh

California Juniper  Cj112

California Juniper  Cj211

California Juniper  Cj311

California Juniper  Cj411

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 am

hi
this is very possible if it grows foliage quick enough.

California Juniper  Cj21110

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 pm

beautiful, thank you so much Marcus.

--Dinh

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  CraftyTanuki Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 am

Great material to make a start with, great bunjin movement.
CraftyTanuki
CraftyTanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:23 pm

CraftyTanuki wrote:Great material to make a start with, great bunjin movement.

Thanks CraftyTanuki, yes, I was trying to create it as a juniper bunjin. Here is my first draft, but somehow it doesn't look satisfy for a bunjin in my imagination. So I am still in searching for the alternative design for this bonsai.

California Juniper  Junipe16

Best,
--Dinh

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Awesome material, Im sure whatever you go with is going to turn out impressive
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 am

ditto, that's a terrific piece of material. Really looking forward to see how it works out.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:10 am

Steven wrote:Awesome material, Im sure whatever you go with is going to turn out impressive

Many thanks Steven, I am also looking for a good pot for it. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Best,
--Dinh

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:13 am

Orion wrote:ditto, that's a terrific piece of material. Really looking forward to see how it works out.

I plan to start working on it next year. Hope that I won't disappoint you.

Best,
--Dinh

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:19 am

dinh wrote:
Steven wrote:Awesome material, Im sure whatever you go with is going to turn out impressive

Many thanks Steven, I am also looking for a good pot for it. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Best,
--Dinh

hi,
style the tree first as the pot needs to complement the final design - final pot choices are better made 2 or 3 years after the tree is styled, especially in a critical design like bunjin. (this trunk is quite thick and heavy for a true convincing bunjin, thats why i increaded the foliage density in the virt, to balance the trunk). To make a really good literati from the material i would be defining the live veins and carving the trunk to be thinner and lighter.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:22 am

marcus watts wrote:
dinh wrote:

Best,
--Dinh

hi,
style the tree first as the pot needs to complement the final design - final pot choices are better made 2 or 3 years after the tree is styled, especially in a critical design like bunjin. (this trunk is quite thick and heavy for a true convincing bunjin, thats why i increaded the foliage density in the virt, to balance the trunk). To make a really good literati from the material i would be defining the live veins and carving the trunk to be thinner and lighter.

cheers Marcus

Thanks again for your excellent input, Marcus. I will take your advice to the work for this California Juniper. Yes, the trunk is kinda fat;-)) In additional to that, too much foliage and a little too high now (35"). This juniper now is not bunjin yet, but hope it will become one.

Regarding pot, if your style design is final, why pot choices are better made 2/3 yrs thereafter?

Best,
--Dinh

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:45 pm

dinh wrote:

Regarding pot, if your style design is final, why pot choices are better made 2/3 yrs thereafter?

Best,
--Dinh

I say wait before buying a pot because a photoshop virt is just a guideline that you can try to get the tree to fit if you like the virt. Bonsai have a habit of not always behaving - a branch may die, it may grow strongly in the wrong places, you may sell it, you may practice grafting onto it Wink , etc etc.

If you buy the pot early you will be tempted to repot the tree too soon as well, rather than keeping the tree settled while you are working it.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:30 pm

marcus watts wrote:
dinh wrote:

Best,
--Dinh

I say wait before buying a pot because a photoshop virt is just a guideline that you can try to get the tree to fit if you like the virt. Bonsai have a habit of not always behaving - a branch may die, it may grow strongly in the wrong places, you may sell it, you may practice grafting onto it Wink , etc etc.

If you buy the pot early you will be tempted to repot the tree too soon as well, rather than keeping the tree settled while you are working it.

cheers Marcus

Great ! Thank you, Marcus.

--Dinh

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi Dinh,
Nice to have you posting here Smile We won't hold it against your also a Koi Nut.....

I like the future for your tree. I wish more folks used american junipers, I have several rocky mountain junipers in my collection.

With junipers I always like to see a pot that matches closely with the color of the live vein. When the time comes that your ready to repot your juniper into it's special pot, please take the tree with you so you can actually match it with it right there on the spot.

I help out occassonally at a bonsai retail outlet and my biggest frustration is trying to help someone from hearsay without having the tree right there for proper size and color...
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 pm

dick benbow wrote:Hi Dinh,
Nice to have you posting here Smile We won't hold it against your also a Koi Nut.....

I like the future for your tree. I wish more folks used american junipers, I have several rocky mountain junipers in my collection.

With junipers I always like to see a pot that matches closely with the color of the live vein. When the time comes that your ready to repot your juniper into it's special pot, please take the tree with you so you can actually match it with it right there on the spot.

I help out occassonally at a bonsai retail outlet and my biggest frustration is trying to help someone from hearsay without having the tree right there for proper size and color...

Thanks Dick. Hope to learn more from you all here.
Best,
--Dinh

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:00 am

Man what a nice piece of material. I'd love to have something with this dramatic of a trunk.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  robert nocher Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:06 pm

This tree has great potential dinh. I would be tempted to superfeed for a few years to increase the foliage density in the crown

Regards

Robert
robert nocher
robert nocher

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:53 am

robert nocher wrote:This tree has great potential dinh. I would be tempted to superfeed for a few years to increase the foliage density in the crown

Regards

Robert

Thanks Robert, I have this cal juniper around 6 years ago. I wish it got more foliage by now.... I planned to start working on this tree next year, but perhaps I will be listen to you to wait for another few more yrs.

Best,
--Dinh

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  dinh Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:03 am

tmmason10 wrote:Man what a nice piece of material. I'd love to have something with this dramatic of a trunk.

Thx Tom... This tree was original collected by Mr. "California Juniper". I bought it from a member of our local club because of the dramatic of the trunk of this tree.

--Dinh

dinh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down