Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load

+18
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
LanceMac10
Precarious
DougB
rck89
vanxeng
Paul Stokes
Victorghirotto
bonsaimark
Neli
yamasuri
luciano benyakob
Khaimraj Seepersad
vinay
drgonzo
reg-i
DenisL
Sam Ogranaja
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Empty Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:18 am

Hey everyone. This is my Brazilian Raintree being trained into a flat top style. Please note that Erik Wigert is very much responsible for shaping the tree into a flat-top and growing it from June 2010 - December 2011. I feel this tree wouldn't be this far along if it hadn't been for him. All the other pictures are mine and I will continue to update this thread with new work, but a lot of this credit is with him. All I did before the tree went down to FL was feed it well, water it well and love it well. No shaping of any kind. Erik and Andrea have been fantastic to work with and I couldn't be happier with them. If you have advice or need advice, please feel free to ask on this thread.

I bought the tree in 2008 and didn't take too many pictures of it then but in 2009, I did, and then no more again until June 2010. The tree was taken down to Wigert's Bonsai nursery in June 2010 and I picked it back up in December 2011. Yes, the transformation you see was done in 1.5 years. This tree grows extremely fast. Once it came back to my house, I slip-potted it into a larger pot, defoliated it and did extremely minor root work. I looked underneath the soil line and found some really nice roots that could be uncovered on the right side of the tree. On the left side however, although two really good roots were found underneath, they were not quite strong enough to allow removal of the larger, crappy root above. This will be removed next year. The back of the tree has a really good root but it is really really small and so I need to leave it alone for at least a couple of years to allow it to strengthen completely.

After the tree was defoliated I didn't take off any crossing branches or any whorls. Apparently a healthy raintree will put out buds everywhere. Well, the tree was defoliated and repotted March 24th and exploded with new growth immediately and the last pictures you see are in April 11th.

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 110
January 2009

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 210
July 2010

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 310
November -December 2010....unsure of the exact month but about 6 months or s after the last picture

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 411
June 2011

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 510
January 2012

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 6_marc10
March 24 2012 Defoliate

Last edited by Sam Ogranaja on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Empty Re: Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:13 pm

Yeah, there's a lot of pictures. It probably takes a long time to load.

I highly value and respect your opinion Jun, so I really appreciate the kind words. They mean a lot to me coming from an artist like yourself.

Have a great weekend!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Empty Re: Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load

Post  DenisL Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Very nice tree Sam. Is it a Brazilian Jaboticaba? Did it thicken up in the pot or in the ground? WOW it filled up with leaves in less than one month!!! Amazing!!
DenisL
DenisL

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Javaliman wrote:Very nice tree Sam. Is it a Brazilian Jaboticaba? Did it thicken up in the pot or in the ground? WOW it filled up with leaves in less than one month!!! Amazing!!

Thanks Denis. The tree is a Brazilian Raintree, Chloroleucon Tortum. Used to be called (may still be called) Pithecellobium tortum so it's not a Jaboticaba.

It was never planted in the ground. Just slip-potted into larger pots and what you see is the growth that was achieved within the timeline shown. It was in FL for a year and a half where they have 2 seasons, Hot and Hotter Smile I don't think this tree has achieved anything special, these guys grow like weeds in the right conditions from what I understand.

Have a great weekend!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:35 am

Looking Real nice! I like the structure when did you get it back from Eric? I pruned mine back some today and had to take wire off.
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Bonsaijaxs066
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:39 am

Thanks Reggie. In January.

Yours is looking good too. I wish we had some of your weather but I think we're going to warm up starting tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:50 am

With the nebari, the nice trunk fluting, and the continuing ramification from the defoliations you'll have a tree that will rival Erik's big Peirneef in just a few more years, but yours will be Kifu size.

And again your progression is just further proof that a vacation in Florida can work wonders.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:01 am

look at this little 14 month old booger
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Bonsaijaxs027
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:24 am

That little guy is great Reggie. Do you plan to keep him small or make him bigger?

Thanks
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Sun May 20, 2012 4:49 am

I defoliated this guy today and wired some of the branches. Here are some before, during and after pictures. Because I let a lot of branches elongate quite a bit, the trunk has actually gotten a little bigger as well as added some to the fluting but I'm looking forward to working on more ramification, which unfortunately slows down the trunk growth. The branch that's been guy-wired down, will probably be removed later.

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120510

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120511

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120512

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120513

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120514

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120515

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120516

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120517

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120518

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load 20120519
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Mon May 21, 2012 5:21 am

its looking really good Sam! I'm gonna tear mine down and build it back up again soon too.
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon May 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks Reggie. Please be sure to post some pictures.
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  vinay Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 am

you did really well my friend,
your record maintenance for this plan is amazing hats off dude,.......
its really a great visualized path way for the beginners like me to observe and learn
once again thanks a lot for your efforts,.................

vinay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks for your kind words. I did a little bit more work on it recently and started experimenting with a new "technique" which I'll share on here shortly. Plus I now have a sweet new camera and can take better photos. I'll keep you updated.

Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Sam,

nicely done so far. Thanks a million for posting images.

A question - what is that soil mix in the last images?
Thanks in advance.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Beautiful work.
Shabbat Shalom Luciano.
luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Empty Lots more pictures.

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:38 am

This year on the right side I was focusing on fattening up the secondary branches and next year I'll repot and focus on ramification. I would have made this into a 360 type video but I don't know how. Feedback is most welcome, especially from our Brazilian friends who are doing such a fine job with their Raintrees.

Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio10
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio11
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio12
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio13
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio14
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio15
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio16
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio17
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio18
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio19
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio20
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio21
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio22
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio23
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio24
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio25
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio26
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio27
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio28
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio29
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio30
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio31
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio34
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio35
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio36
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio37
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio38
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio39
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio40
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio41
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio42
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio43
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio44
Brazilian Raintree Flat-top Progression. Lots of Pictures - please wait to load Studio45

I like the second picture as my front. The wire on the left is anchored to a root that will be removed next year. Two gorgeous replacement roots are underneath this one. I've started weakening the top root by scraping the cambium off the top part a few months ago. We had a major hail storm and I had some damage on the roots on the right, so I applied some cut paste, although much more than I needed just to be safe. That's the big greenish blackish blotch you see on the right.

Have a great week!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:46 am

The tree is developing very well. There is some more front view on your pictures. You gotta be carefull with that "knee" there...it could reverse the taper. Cant wait to see new nebari. Keep us posted Thanks
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Sam,

nicely done so far. Thanks a million for posting images.

A question - what is that soil mix in the last images?
Thanks in advance.
Khaimraj

Hey Khaimraj,

I just realized I never answered your question. My apologies. Thank you for the compliments.

What you saw on top of that picture was a lot of Osmocote (Fertilizer). The top dressing is Turface but most of the soil underneath is a mix of Lava Rock and sifted Pine Bark. In my climate I haven't had very good luck with straight turface. It dries out too fast. I was watering 3 - 4 times a day in the heat of the summer and I still had issues with leaves drying out. Next year I plan on adding some sifted Pine Bark to my mix to retain some more moisture. We'll see how that works.

Have a great week!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:40 pm

luciano benyakob wrote:Beautiful work.
Shabbat Shalom Luciano.

Thank you Luciano. You guys are doing some amazing things with Raintrees over there. We're light years behind you guys.

Have a great week!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:43 pm

yamasuri wrote:The tree is developing very well. There is some more front view on your pictures. You gotta be carefull with that "knee" there...it could reverse the taper. Cant wait to see new nebari. Keep us posted Thanks

Thank you, I appreciate it. There is another root in the back of the tree that I haven't exposed yet either. He's pretty small and I'm hoping he'll gain some size nexy year if I don't prune it at all during repotting.

I'm sorry, I don't know what a "knee" is. Do you mean the long curvy root on the left?

Thanks again!!!
Have a great week!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks a million Sam.

This is why I time my repotting for our Dry Season and can still use compost/cocopeat in my mix. The trees appreciate the extra water and later as the rains return the roots have already mastered the container, so the bucket a drop water has no effect on them.

However, I still water by watering can and observe the wet to dry soil cycle as well.
Best to you.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:32 am

One word! Fantastic! Getting better and better!
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:39 am

I love the trunk. I love the bark. I love the foliage. And ever since I saw the acacias on the African savannah, I've been fixated with "flat tops" and I have difficulties resisting the urge to shape all of my trees in that way!

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaimark Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Nice work on the tree, I like flat top trees also, I see you must have a bird problem with the pond there... I know that feeling also..

bonsaimark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next