Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acer Buergerianum (trident maple) project

+2
coh
Randy_Davis
6 posters

Go down

Acer Buergerianum (trident maple) project Empty Acer Buergerianum (trident maple) project

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Now that I have finally finished my project elm trees here is a picture of my latest project tree. a Trident maple. This is just after the tree was removed from the ground in February 2012. The tree was a landscape tree that had been in the ground growing unrestrained for 25 years. The tree was top chopped and roots severed to the current size in February 2011 and left to grow in the ground for a year. It is now potted up in a 3'lx3'wx12"d container and will be left alone for the next year to bud out and recover. No serious work will be started on this tree untill spring 2013 but just though some might be intrested in following the process of this project.

Acer Buergerianum (trident maple) project A_buer17
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Acer Buergerianum (trident maple) project Empty Re: Acer Buergerianum (trident maple) project

Post  coh Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:41 pm

I think it needs to go back in the ground to thicken up for a few years Smile
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Acer Buergerianum (trident maple) project Empty Re: Acer Buergerianum (trident maple) project

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:57 pm

coh wrote:I think it needs to go back in the ground to thicken up for a few years Smile

lol! Normally I wouldn't work on a tree this size but the original owners were going to kill it and I just couldn't let that happen to the poor lil tree! We'll see what can be done with the bugger over the next two or three years. lol!
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 pm

You could always send it to Jim, it would fit in nicely with the rest of his collection.

I can only imagine how much this thing weighs (especially potted). I found out recently while digging a much smaller crabapple that my back imposes severe limitations on tree size for me. Completely understand the desire to save something like this, though. Good luck!

Have you dug any persimmons? I seem to recall a thread about that during the fall or winter...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:08 pm

coh wrote: Have you dug any persimmons? I seem to recall a thread about that during the fall or winter...

I dug some without success (same results as others that have tried). I didn't think they like to be dug, even young ones. As a precaution, I also collected seeds and planted some of them so we'll see how many sprout out.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Randy
It's a dirty job, but some body's gotta do it! Ha Ha I see a wonderful bonsai in the near future in your hands. Keep us informed.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Acer Buergerianum (trident maple) project Empty acer buergerianum trident maole project

Post  moyogijohn Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:40 pm

RANDY,, What a good ,dig, you have found !! how in the world after 25 years did it have branches that low ?? i am sure it will be a great tree when you start styleing .. lucky you take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:20 am

WOW!!! What a wonderful piece! I would love to see what you come up with this one.

Given the same opportunity, I'll be wrestling that too even if it breaks my back. lol!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:38 am

You never cease to amaze me. A man after my own heart"OOH you are going to chop down and remove that 20 foot tall tree?? Can I have it I have a shovel?"Good one to do a progression series on .Subscribed.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down