Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Naked Ficus

+3
Peter Woosley
Ryan
Rob Kempinski
7 posters

Go down

Another Naked Ficus Empty Another Naked Ficus

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:40 am

I defoliated and repotted this Indian Laurel Fig (Ficus microcarpa) over the last few days. Didn't count the leaves this time. Razz
This was grown from a cutting about 22 years ago. I've had it about 13 years. I call it the "Flying Buttress Ficus."
It is about 40 inches (101 cm) across. I can't recall but I believe it is a 20 to 30 year old Japanese pot.

A few progression shots.
Before defoliating - lots of large and winter damaged leaves on the tree. The red and green lines on the lower left are drinking straws that have been slit and are used to precisely direct the aerial roots to mimic the taper of the trunk - almost all the straight aerial roots have been initially trained this way. The configuration of the roots is how this tree get its its name. study
Another Naked Ficus 2012_017

Partially through defoliating. You can see the smaller leaves on the top that were beneath the larger leaves. For the past several seasons, I have been letting my ficus trees grow unmolested through the winter. In March I defoliate and find that I get smaller leaves for most of the year with only minor trimming until early winter. Then the big leaves return and I let the cold do what it wants and in March repeat the cycle.
Another Naked Ficus 2012_f10

Leaves all removed but before trunk cleaning and repotting.
Another Naked Ficus 2012_018

It had been about 7 years at least since I repotted this tree and I was expecting to see a massive root mass under the soil, but I was very pleased to see a very evenly distributed parcel of fine roots with only a few thicker roots needing to be removed, but no massive tubers. I can probably let it go and other 8 years before repotting. Smile I put a layer of chopped sphagnum moss over the soil and then a thin layer of bonsai soil over the moss. This is to keep the roots tips moist until more green moss can form.
Another Naked Ficus 2012_019

A view from above showing the branch ramification and radial placement.
Another Naked Ficus 2012_f11

An interesting camera effect. While I had the camera pointed down with a long shutter exposure the telephoto slid down on its own creating this interesting camera effect.

Another Naked Ficus Above_10
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Another Naked Ficus Empty Re: Another Naked Ficus

Post  Ryan Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:44 am

Wow, love it I love you

Did you just use a toothbrush to clean the trunk? Anything else?

Last edited by Ryan on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:12 am

Nice old ficus Rob.

are you planning to thin some branches/twigs out?

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Woosley Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:34 am

Hello Rob, can you tell me please, what are your daytime and night time temperatures there at the moment? I haven't had any experience with this type of fig but don't normally start doing any defoliation work on figs until mid spring or thereabouts. (In Qld Australia) Nice fig by the way!
Peter Woosley
Peter Woosley

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 am

Peter Woosley wrote:Hello Rob, can you tell me please, what are your daytime and night time temperatures there at the moment? I haven't had any experience with this type of fig but don't normally start doing any defoliation work on figs until mid spring or thereabouts. (In Qld Australia) Nice fig by the way!

In this part of Florida spring is almost over. We are experiencing around 81 F/ 27 C in the daytime and 60 F/ 15.5 C during the night. But it will be steadily warming up over the next month. We'll be at 94 F/34 C in the day and 75 F/ 24 C at night in a month or so.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:09 pm

jun wrote:Nice old ficus Rob.

are you planning to thin some branches/twigs out?

regards,
jun Smile

Not a whole lot. I trimmed it and will post another shot (see below). I look for nodes that have more than 2 branches and remove one of them (with a few exceptions) and any shoot that is more than two or 3 inches without a another node I will reduce to add ramification to the straight part. Doing this same process over a course of many years has led to a full canopy with dense branches and lots of subtle movement in the twigs. I like the dense ramification that really looks good when you see in it person and can move your point of view to see the detail. And with the small leaves there is room for the birds to fly through. The dense canopy also shades the roots and encourages aerial roots - a key part of this design. When this tree was first styled I wired all the branches, now I use almost exclusively clip and grow and manual bending with an occasional wire on a branch I really want to move, otherwise I rely on the growth habit of the tree.

Another Naked Ficus 2012_020

Last edited by Rob Kempinski on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Hot dang, Rob. That is a killer tree. Great job and thanks for posting pictures and part of your secrets. Keep 'em coming. The pictures and the secrets!!! Smile

Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Ryan wrote:Wow, love it I love you

Did you just use a toothbrush to clean the trunk? Anything else?

Yes Ryan, an old toothbrush and a thorough squirt of 409 All Purpose cleaner. I cover the soil but then really drench the tree with water afterwards to rinse out the cleaner that might have penetrated the root ball. Repotting is after cleaning.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Nice tree, good ramifications.
Thanks for sharing

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Rob, very, very nice tree. Great job.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Woosley Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:52 am

Rob Kempinski wrote:In this part of Florida spring is almost over. We are experiencing around 81 F/ 27 C in the daytime and 60 F/ 15.5 C during the night. But it will be steadily warming up over the next month. We'll be at 94 F/34 C in the day and 75 F/ 24 C at night in a month or so.

That is pretty much spot on the temps when i start my figs here! Thanks Rob.
Peter Woosley
Peter Woosley

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:38 pm

That is a fantastic ficus. Thank you for posting.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down