Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Pot for Ginkgo

+6
Mark Cooper
tap pi lu
fiona
Russell Coker
rhoeda
LSBonsai
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Pot for Ginkgo - Page 2 Empty Re: New Pot for Ginkgo

Post  John Quinn Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:01 am

Mark, I like the Ginkgo/pot combo you posted. Here is a similar one I saw at Saburo Kato's place several years ago.

New Pot for Ginkgo - Page 2 Ginkgo10
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:08 am

I'd have to press the LIKE button on that one too.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:26 am

William N. Valavanis wrote:Sorry I personally do not like the new blue pot for your ginkgo bonsai. To me the pot is too small, too shallow and the clay walls are not thick enough. The thickness of the pot is very important when selecting an appropriate pot.

But I do like the blue color.

Bill

Well thank you Simon Cowell! Smile

Actually, I have to agree. Little ginkgos, for the most part (LS's and Fi's) are chunky, course textured trees. The pot, be it oval or rectangular, in my opinion, needs to reflect that. That's one of the reasons I posted the pic of the purple glazed pot. To me, it's chunky enough to do even a small fat ginkgo justice. I think a fine textured tree, like potentilla, would be lost. Bigger bonsai, like the ones Mark and John posted, look great in the pots they're in, but they'd come off as too delicate for a little bonsai. Kiyo hime maple - yes. Ginkgo - no.

Nice catch Bill.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:28 am

LSBonsai wrote: I don't buy weird pots so I can put them on a shelf and look at them.

Hell, that's half the fun.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  LSBonsai Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:20 am

Russell Coker wrote:
William N. Valavanis wrote:Sorry I personally do not like the new blue pot for your ginkgo bonsai. To me the pot is too small, too shallow and the clay walls are not thick enough. The thickness of the pot is very important when selecting an appropriate pot.

But I do like the blue color.

Bill

Well thank you Simon Cowell! Smile

Actually, I have to agree. Little ginkgos, for the most part (LS's and Fi's) are chunky, course textured trees. The pot, be it oval or rectangular, in my opinion, needs to reflect that. That's one of the reasons I posted the pic of the purple glazed pot. To me, it's chunky enough to do even a small fat ginkgo justice. I think a fine textured tree, like potentilla, would be lost. Bigger bonsai, like the ones Mark and John posted, look great in the pots they're in, but they'd come off as too delicate for a little bonsai. Kiyo hime maple - yes. Ginkgo - no.

Nice catch Bill.

OK I concede that the pot is not perfect Smile But for me its a nice change, and I think I will enjoy it for this year. Suggestions for the 'ideal' pot would be appreciated. As long as it doesn't look like one of Prince's outfits from the 80's. Shocked

LSBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:23 am

Hey now...
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:19 am

This thread is of interest to me as I became the proud owner of two nice ginkgos last winter. The previous owner kept meticulous records of each tree, so I knew I could let them go another year without repotting. I also wanted to observe them as I am new to keeping ginkgos. The first photo is of a shohin 'Chris's dwarf' in a deep blue pot with fall color. The color of the pot is o.k. but just too deep. My thinking was along the lines of Russell's--a color to complement the gold leaves of fall. I recently repotted it and will try to get a photo of the tree in its new pot. I think it looks better already Cool

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:27 am

Here she is!

New Pot for Ginkgo - Page 2 00618

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:50 am

Wow, Greg, really nice! Please post a winter picture. And you're right, it desperately needs a show-ready pot.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

New Pot for Ginkgo - Page 2 Empty New Digs for 'Chris's dwarf'

Post  gregb Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:09 am

Here is the same tree above in a different pot; shallower and more rectilinear with a nice plum color that I hope will make the gold leaves of fall stand out. I also rotated the tree counterclockwise slightly. The tree is small--8 1/2" in height; trunk is 3" in diameter at soil level.

New Pot for Ginkgo - Page 2 02010

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2