Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mulberry as bonsai

2 posters

Go down

mulberry as bonsai Empty mulberry as bonsai

Post  tree4me Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Hello to everyone. I really enjoy the forum and I've been doing bonsai as a hobby for awhile and recently purchased a nice mulberry. I live in South Florida, USA and am wondering about how she will fair in my zone 10.5 backyard. She is fruiting right now, tasty little treats, is this the normal time of year for this? Will post pics as soon as I can to get suggestions on training and styling.

tree4me

Back to top Go down

mulberry as bonsai Empty Re: mulberry as bonsai

Post  attila Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:24 am

tree4me wrote:Hello to everyone. I really enjoy the forum and I've been doing bonsai as a hobby for awhile and recently purchased a nice mulberry. I live in South Florida, USA and am wondering about how she will fair in my zone 10.5 backyard. She is fruiting right now, tasty little treats, is this the normal time of year for this? Will post pics as soon as I can to get suggestions on training and styling.

Hello Michael
i had a few tree is in back in hungary (eastern europe don't know the zone sorry) and they thrived there. they grow very fast and leaf reduce very well. if you have big trunks it looks very good with nice hollow trunk as these trees grow big normally like formal upright, broom style or stump.

plus you have the fruits too which is bonus in the hot summer evening, it also makes an excellent fruit brandy, my granpa used to brew often. in hungary we have huge mulberry orchads.
mulberry as bonsai Dsc_8810

its not a good picture but this tree on my farm is a bout 25-30 years old(cant remember when planted) and you see the electric pole next to the tree is almost 1.5 time taller than that and it is still growing fast also it has many seedling everywhere they grow like weeds. i just plant them in the hedge and make a nice mixed hedge with other fruit trees like plums, cherries and apricots as i have a long border.

i am in china now, where they used the leaves to feed to silkworms, but i havent seen any mulberry yet, i keep looking as i like these trees i have good memories of them from my childhood. so i would like to have them in my bonsai collections
good luck with yours and post some pictures as well

regards
Attila
attila
attila

Back to top Go down