Contorted Mulberry

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Contorted Mulberry

Post  NemusStipes on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:44 pm

I saw one on sale at a local nursery and and I want to know if it was worth the money. I was thinking that it would make two awesome trees if I could air-layer it.
1. Would it be worth buying one for $20?
2. Can it be air layered?
and 3. Would it make a good bonsai overall?

I apologize for my child-like ignorace. Embarassed But I'm learning! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Re: Contorted Mulberry

Post  Attila Soos on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:08 pm

As far as the price is concerned, there is nothing wrong to pay $20 for a beautiful plant that you like. When it comes to buying nursery material, I don't care if it costs $15, $20, or $25, a few dollars plus or minus are irrelevant. Remember, that creating and caring for a bonsai, is a lifelong commitment(unless you are planning for a quick turnaround for a few bucks). The time and and work that you will spend on this tree during a lifetime, will amount to thousands of dollars (I assume that your time is worth something). So, the initial cost of $20 is just the first drop from the whole bucket that you will have to spend. Does it matter whether it is a small drop or a larger one?

Mulberry can be easily layered.

But the biggest concern is the third issue: is is good for bonsai. I say that the contorted variety of any tree (mulberry, beach, hazel, etc) is not good for serious bonsai, but it is great for creating a curiousity. Since the growth pattern of his plant is entirely unpredictable, you will constantly have to wire every little twig, if you want to keep it in good shape. So, it will require a lot of maintenance.
Other than that, this variety is always interesting to look at.

Attila Soos

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum