Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori

4 posters

Go down

Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Empty Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori

Post  gman Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Hello, I thought some here might be interested in looking at some trees from the Pacific Northwest.
I was over at a friend’s garden discussing some of his trees and potential plans for the future. He has a large collection of Yamadori, many… many large ones and I helped him get a few of them ready for this weeks work (he’s lucky as he’s retired)…….while we were moving them he told me that he hardly takes any progress photos and doesn’t venture into the on-line forums/blogs. So, I wanted to start this thread and then update it overtime.
This first one is a yellow Cedar (Alaskan Yellow Cedar, Cypress) Callitropsis nootkatensis. It is very old, with great bark and deadwoods features.
Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Pwyc1_10
Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Pwycba10
Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Pwycfr10
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Empty Some Shore Pines (Pinus sontorta contorta)

Post  gman Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:03 pm

Here are a some photos of my friends yamadori shore Pines. Some of them have really thick bark showing some real age (as shown in the last photo.
Cheers Graham
Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Pwpl110
Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Pwpl210
Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Pwpl310
Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Pwpl3b10
Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Pwpl3o10
Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Pwpl3b11
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Empty Re: Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Interesting trunks. A little bit of styling and they will look very nice.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori Empty Re: Pacific Northwest (Canada) Yamadori

Post  dick benbow Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:57 pm

always appreciative of your posts. Nice to see something other than white cedar.

I love shore pine almost as much as my chojubai. The last one photoed is fabulous! the first pictured, looks really strong. At first glance I almost thought ponderosa because of needle length. Would really appreciate following these trees as your friend begins to work on them. Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 am

Thanks Rob/Dick,
Overtime I will see these and others transform into very nice trees and also hope to participate ……..if my friend will allow me to lol!
Shorepines do normally have longish needles but as with most pines they do shorten up nicely over many years in pots.
Cheers G
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  crust Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 am

Love the pine with the descending branch on the left--and it is so small too.

crust

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down