Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone)

+2
Chris Cochrane
wen
6 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty fossils in Rain Flower Stones, other types, more

Post  wen Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:38 am

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Fossil43

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Fossil44

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Fossil49

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Fossil50

wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty fossils in Rain Flower Stones, other types, more

Post  wen Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:40 am

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Fossil51

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Fossil52

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Fossil53

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Fossil54
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty Re: Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone)

Post  wen Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:45 am

That's all for today's pictures Smile
many thanks to stone friends here for your appreciation and encouragement cheers
Wen
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty Re: Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone)

Post  sunip Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:19 am

Hello Wen.
Many thanks to you for posting again such marvelous pieces of nature.
regards Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty Looks like one I found?

Post  stonener Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi Wen, Your post is very interesting to me.
Recently found a medium size(11.5x7x4.5")stone with this type of patten.
Did not think to view it underwater as found, now makes better sense!
I and crafting a diaza right now, will post picture when completed.
Exciting to think that in California, USA we have similar patterns.
I think my is jasper, very heavy material, are your agate? ... Basketball

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Rain_f10

Last edited by stonener on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add picture)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  wen Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:43 am

stonener wrote:Hi Wen, Your post is very interesting to me.
Recently found a medium size(11.5x7x4.5")stone with this type of patten.
Did not think to view it underwater as found, now makes better sense!
I and crafting a diaza right now, will post picture when completed.
Exciting to think that in California, USA we have similar patterns.
I think my is jasper, very heavy material, are your agate? ... Basketball

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Rain_f10

Hi, stonener, thank you for your appreciatin.
It seems like a volcanic texture, composed of rimmed grains in finner matirx. From this local feature photo of small range, I can imagine that the whole stone will display fascinating formal beauty !
Large part of my stones are agates and others are not, such as the sandstone and the clastic textures. And "the most common type of fossils" are mostly agate and nearly agate.
This rimmed texture remind me of my several cobble colletions with the same rimmed texture.I will try to take pictures and post here in a few days.
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty cobbles with rimmed textures

Post  wen Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:18 am

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Rimmed10

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Rimmed11

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Brecci10

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Brecci11

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Rimmed12

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Rimmed13

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Rimmed14

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Rimmed15
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty the color of autumn

Post  wen Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:31 am

these are a set of stones with the same topic:the color of autumn

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 1autum10

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 2autum11

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 3autum10

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 4autum10

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 5autum10

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 6autum10
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty rain flower? or not

Post  stonener Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:33 am

Hello Wen,
I just completed daiza ,
take a look at the stone now!... Basketball

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Rain_f11

Last edited by stonener on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add picture)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:16 am

Hello Wen,
Thank you, again i enjoyed seeing your amazing stones.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty Wondering What size?

Post  stonener Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:17 pm

WoW! these last few are really nice,
great colors, seen as gem quality,
do you buy or find them, beautiful collection,
do you keep them in fish bowl on display?... Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:59 pm

On page one of the thread I posted photos from Nanjing of some of the stones on display. The Chinese used a shallow bowl, probably a rice bowl to display single stones, but a shallow round tray to display multiple stones.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  wen Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:03 am

stonener wrote:WoW! these last few are really nice,
great colors, seen as gem quality,
do you buy or find them, beautiful collection,
do you keep them in fish bowl on display?... Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Hi, stonener, thank you for your highly appreciation...
All of my RainFlower stones are bought at Nanjing or at the stones shows in beijing or at the markets. none of them was collected from the field or from the sandpit by myself Smile
Only a small part of the stones are displayed in a big glass pot, and most of them are kept in several boxes. I dont have much room for their display.
the size of these stone are mostly between 5mm to 7 mm.
wen

Last edited by wen on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Post  wen Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:On page one of the thread I posted photos from Nanjing of some of the stones on display. The Chinese used a shallow bowl, probably a rice bowl to display single stones, but a shallow round tray to display multiple stones.

Thank you, Billy!
Your photos on the first page are very nice, expecially the first one, realy amazing patterns and colors.
you are right, Chinese RainFlower stone collectors often put one stone in a bow, and give it a title when display.
However I seldom give my stones any title, I just enjoy the color and the pattern without telling any story from the pictures.
Wen
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:15 am

wen[/quote]

Should this be - between 5 cm. and 7 cm.?
Sunip scratch

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am

sunip wrote:the size of these stone are mostly between 5mm to 7 mm.
wen

Should this be - between 5 cm. and 7 cm.?
Sunip scratch [/quote]

Probably, being American I don't think in metric so I did a conversion and 5 mm is only .19 inches, these stones are small but not that small.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  wen Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:50 pm

wen wrote:
wen

sorry, I made a mistake. It should be 5-7 cm
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty INSPIRATION

Post  stonener Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:06 am

HELLO WEN,
since i saw your stones have been looking better,
agate here are just not as colorful and difficult to find.
but recently found this one, sorry poor picture quality... Suspect
5.5x1.75x1.25"

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Agate_15Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Agate_14Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Agate_12

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:04 am

Hello Stonener.
What a find.
A dragon pillar!
Very red and Yang.
The impressive stone shows a beautiful moving dragon energy.
Do you place it on a daiza?
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  wen Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:40 am

Hi, stonener,
it is a very good agate, with nice patterns and colours.

wen
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Post  wen Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:41 am

sunip wrote:Hello Stonener.
What a find.
A dragon pillar!
Very red and Yang.
The impressive stone shows a beautiful moving dragon energy.
Do you place it on a daiza?
Sunip Wink

yes, a dragon piloar!
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Post  wen Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 am

I am attending a conference in Oakland CA, and I am planning to visit the Utah National Park after March 29th.
Anyone can tell me anywhere around Oakland that I can see viewing stones ?
wen
wen

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty New to IBC Forum-Beginning admirer of Yuhuashi and Gongshi

Post  jhankri Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:49 am

Hello everyone!

Am awed by the beautiful collection of yuhuashi displayed on the IBC forum pages. What wonderul stones! Thank you very much for sharing them. It is a true privilege to "train the eye" by looking at such a fine collection.

Have been a student and ardent admirer of Chinese art and culture for 25 years. Greatly enjoy many of the decorative and fine arts of China, but only lately began to appreciate gongshi. (sent my first stones to have "daiza" or stands cut for them last week) By the way, could someone tell me the Mandarin (pinyin) word for these traditional carved stands?

First found out about yuhuashi two years ago, and since then have admired these beautiful, entirely natural, works of art. Would greatly appreciate any tips from collectors of yuhuashi on traditional Chinese appreciation of these stones. I have a very small collection of 4 or 5 stones.

Many thanks!

jhankri

Back to top Go down

Yuhua Stone (Rain Flower Stone) - Page 3 Empty Thank you Wen for showing where the Yuhuashi come from

Post  jhankri Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:03 am

[quote="wen"]Most of the Yuhua Stone are from sandpit. Sands are the major product of the sandpit and there is a small amount of decorative pebbles produced. Workers select(pick out) pebbles of different color for different use. When picking up the pebbles they will occasionally found pretty ones and sell them as RainFlower Stones. So Rain Flower Stone is byproduct of the sandpit.
There are several pictures of one of the sandpit in Yizheng County (photo by Wen, May 2007).

Hello Wen,

Thank you for the photos of how many of today's yuhuashi are found. I had read that the tradtional location for gathering yuhuashi was a place called the Yuhuatai ("Rainflower Terrace") or "Agate Hillock", located on the banks of the Yangtze south of the Zhongua Gate at Nanjing. Are rainflower stones still found at this historic location?

Thank you!

jhankri

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi jhankri... Welcome to the IBC Stone Forum. I hope you'll share your stone interests, further.

The seats for traditional Chinese scholar rocks/gongshi apreciation and for modern shangshi appreciation are called shizuo-- shi/"stone" + zuo/"seat" in Mandarin. This is the term Kemin Hu applies to both traditional gongshi or modern shangshi. In their book Chrysanthemum Stones, Tom Elias & Hiromi Nakaoji add the Mandarin language choices muzuo/"wood base" or genzuo/"root base"-- the latter describing a base made from a root section. I use shizuo to reference all mountings in Chinese style. For stones of international style, I refer to their mounting as "seat(s), wood seat or 'the seating' " on an English forum.

Daiza is the Japanese term which applies to an individually-fitted stone mounting. If your Chinese-style stone is mounted for viewing in Chinese-style, it's fitted mounting is a shizuo. If your Chinese-style stone is mounted to be appreciated in Japanese-style, its mounting would be a daiza. Suiseki are stones appreciated in Japanese-style; this form of appreciation is not limited to Japanese stones.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next