Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My itoigawa shimpaku

+6
Rob Kempinski
DaveP
Kev Bailey
bonsai monkey
fiona
Garykk
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My itoigawa shimpaku - Page 2 Empty Re: My itoigawa shimpaku

Post  jrodriguez Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Dave,

Taroko National Park is quite stunning. By looking at the diferent trees that grow there, you can see the differences between the grwth patterns of rhododendron and conifers. Truly exceptional.

In order to see the trees you see in Mr. Wang's book, it is neccessary to obtain a hiking permit. Also, it takes about three days to get to the site.

Kind regards,
Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveP Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:15 pm

Here are three images scaned from Song of Life. Truly a study in the dichotomy between stunning beauty and utter brutality nature provides.

My itoigawa shimpaku - Page 2 Song_of_life_1

My itoigawa shimpaku - Page 2 Song_of_life_2

My itoigawa shimpaku - Page 2 Song_of_life_3

The book is ISBN 987-986-83386-1-6 I've not been able to find it online recently. Published in 2007, Softbound.

Kindest~
-d

Last edited by DaveP on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added publication info)

DaveP

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Dave,

The yellowish grass you see below the Yushan Sang Po (junipers) is a type of dwarf bamboo. Also, there is a very fragrant species of rose that grows there.

See how the dead wood is always positioned in the opposite side of the green?

I will have copies of this book shortly.

Kind regards,
Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveP Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Truly amazing. Sometimes we find images that are worth far more than 1000 words. There is so much to learn about how nature works. I would undoubtedly be overwhelmed if I were to see them in person!

Kindest~
-d

DaveP

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:18 pm

jrodriguez wrote:Dave,

The yellowish grass you see below the Yushan Sang Po (junipers) is a type of dwarf bamboo. Also, there is a very fragrant species of rose that grows there.

See how the dead wood is always positioned in the opposite side of the green?

I will have copies of this book shortly.

Kind regards,
Jose Luis

Thanks for the photos and the explanation.
Keep in mind that there is tremendous variation in nature and deadwood can be caused on certain trees for a variety of reasons not just wind. I saw Sabina junipers in Italy influenced by avalanches and rock slides and the contortions of the branches took all shapes. Coastal Buttonwood are influenced by tides, hurricanes and alligators - random patterns there. Lightning causes damage in random ways. So I guess the rule is there is no one rule.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 pm

If I remember correctly the dead wood on a Needle Juniper in Japan is caused mostly by disease.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Garykk Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:59 pm

[quote="Rob Kempinski"]
jrodriguez wrote:Dave,

Thanks for the photos and the explanation.
Coastal Buttonwood are influenced by tides, hurricanes and alligators - random patterns there. Lightning causes damage in random ways. So I guess the rule is there is no one rule.

Buttonwood influenced by alligators? I am not biting that one. I suppose they got their name from button makers too? lols

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2