Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'

2 posters

Go down

Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'  Empty Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'

Post  giangus Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:20 pm

The Podocarpus is an evergreen tree and belongs to one of the genus of conifers. The "Buddhist pine' is a cultural respected tree as the Ginko tree in Asia, and it is specially the symbole of Chinese penjing trees.

On the evolutionary scale, the Podocarpus is more evolved compared to other species of conifers, due to its capacity of adaptation in poor environment, by making a symbiotic relationship with a bacteria, that helps the Podocarpus fixe and use the nitrogen from the air.

This survival strategy is often seen at pioneer plants such as clovers or Elaegnus species. These nitrogen-fixing trees, in some way, prepare the suitable soil and produce 'green natural fertilizers' for other species to develop.

We can notice this symbiosis by observing the root of our Podocarpus bonsai trees, with its small root nodules, which contains bacteria.

There are many ways of reproducing the Podocarpus for bonsai.

Propagation by cuttings: Heel cuttings

Time: from November to January.

Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'  Propag16
heel cuttings
Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'  Propag17

Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'  Cuttin11
Propagation base

Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'  Yew-tr11
A plastic greenhouse to keep the cuttings fresh

Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'  Seedli12
New root system

In this way, I propage the Podocarpus trees every year, at this period of time in my Lotus Bonsai studio.

Happy holidays,
Giang

giangus
giangus

Back to top Go down

Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'  Empty Re: Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'

Post  RKatzin Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi Giangus, What season is Nov-Jan for you, it's fall-winter here.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'  Empty Re: Bonsai propagation: Podocarpus 'maki'

Post  giangus Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:36 pm

hi,
For the conifer propagation, winter is suitable for the cutting propagation. I usally start from mid November.
Giang
giangus
giangus

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Thank you, Giang. I am growing a Red-tip Podocarpus that I want to break down into smaller pieces for forest planting. They seem to take rather easily. I broke a branch last season and just stuck it in a pot of soil and it took without further assistance. This is a dwarf variety and looks more like a yew than a podocarpus, it is P. alpinus. Thank you for your very informative posts, both useful and enjoyable!
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  giangus Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi,
I saw the Podocarpus alpinus last summer in Houston when I worked there. This species is native to Australia, and I couldnt bring it back to the EU and some Serissa varieties. The Podocarpus is pretty easy to propagate by cuttings, with a little heat at the base of a small greenhouse , the new root system comes a little faster. Winter is a time for conifer propagation by grafting and cuttings.

Good night,
Giang
giangus
giangus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down