Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Podocarpus House plant to Bonsai Advice...

2 posters

Go down

Podocarpus House plant to Bonsai Advice... Empty Podocarpus House plant to Bonsai Advice...

Post  Recoil Rob Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Today I was given this Buddhist pine (Podocarpus) which has been kept as a house plant for many years. It has grown gangly and the main trunk is probably about 5/8" diameter.

I have been researching  Podocarpus and many of the older trees have great trunk diameter. I need to start cutting this down to size and thought I'd ask some advice.

Right now it's about 4ft tall...

Podocarpus House plant to Bonsai Advice... Img_0110

Here are some of the main branches less than 18" from the soil...

Podocarpus House plant to Bonsai Advice... Img_0111

Finally a closeup of some of the hot mess inside there...

Podocarpus House plant to Bonsai Advice... Img_0112

I have no idea when this last repotted, should I do that first or should I start by just lopping off most of the top of this plant and cutting back the longer side branches?

Also, do these propagate easily from cuttings?

This is a start, appreciate any help.

thanks,

Rob

Recoil Rob

Back to top Go down

Podocarpus House plant to Bonsai Advice... Empty Podocarpus

Post  john blanchard Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:08 pm

Style and prune to your heart's content, with the untouched roots there's root enough to sustain the plant as is. So it will quickly recover from top work. Any mistakes or regrowth that is needed will be quick to rectify. When the plant is well on its to looking something like, then the roots can be better developed.
john blanchard
john blanchard

Back to top Go down