Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus Identification help

4 posters

Go down

Ficus Identification help Empty Ficus Identification help

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:32 pm

I purchased this ficus at Home Depot on black friday, $5. It came in a pot with a built in humidity tray but in a plastic pot inside. It stands about 16" tall and the trunk caliper is about 1.5". It was potted in regular soil (soaked) with the rocks glued over the top for look (first thing to go). I would like to find out which variety it is. The trunk is very textured with bumbs all over it and the leaves are very waxy. I repotted it in a soil mix I made 50-50 lava rock and topsoil for the time being.

Ficus Identification help Ficus_10

Ficus Identification help Ficus_11

How long should I let it settle before I go to trimming it and wiring it?

Thanks,
Kurt

Back to top Go down

Ficus Identification help Empty Re: Ficus Identification help

Post  bucknbonsai Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:23 am

ficus retusa. carefull repotting ficus unless they are at peak of growing. Topsoil?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:03 am

Yeah man Tiger Bark Ficus Retusa, and a nice one too, Just let it rest throughout winter-never let it drop below 50 degrees, up my way that means indoors ALL winter, water her when the soil is approaching dry and i would cut it back to like a 5 inch stump in the early summer and regrow a new canopy.

I have ficus's growing out in 5 gallon pots with potting soil with extra perlite mixed in (one of the only things I still have in potting soil) Its not a sin, they do ok in it, but when in a bonsai pot ALWAYS good free draining Bonsai soil.
-Jay

oh yeah, and when you chop the trunk in the summer cut off the thick branches and root them out in sharp sand or Turface, and make even more Retusa's, ficus roots nicely in summer.

PS do you have hard water? looks like lime deposits on the leaves after the water from your watering dried.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:46 am

jay,
Thanks for the advice. my water isn't hard, home depots must be bc i just got it yesterday.
ill chop it down next summer. i feel like the trunk is too long for the foliage that is there now. do the ficus back bud nicely? Or am i looking at a possible airlayering?

Thanks!
Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Nice find ! I would give it lots of light also. And it may react to the change in environment by dropping leaves. If that happens don't panic - just do not over water and it should put out new growth when it acclimates to the new conditions.

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:33 pm

kmeng wrote:jay,
Thanks for the advice. my water isn't hard, home depots must be bc i just got it yesterday.
ill chop it down next summer. i feel like the trunk is too long for the foliage that is there now. do the ficus back bud nicely? Or am i looking at a possible airlayering?

Thanks!
Kurt

if chopped in the summer, and you just leave the roots alone, it will probably throw more buds than you know what to do with. No need to air layer, ficus clones easily. Even big thick branches. Again thats done in the summer.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Ficus Identification help Empty Ficus Identification

Post  bonsaisr Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:52 pm

The correct name for tiger bark fig is Ficus microcarpa 'Kinmen.' You will also find information under Chinese banyan.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down