Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling

+2
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
imaqtpa2t
6 posters

Go down

Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Empty Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling

Post  imaqtpa2t Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:23 pm

Hello experts,

I Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling. Please do not be afraid to insult or critique. I think this plant has a chance in 20 years to become something. But I hatted it when everything was bushy and growing straight up. Please help with this project.

"In the multitude of counsel, there is wisdom"
Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Ficus1
Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Ficus2
Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Ficus3
Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Ficus4
Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Ficus5
Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Ficus6

Thank you experts for any and all help
imaqtpa2t
imaqtpa2t

Back to top Go down

Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Empty Re: Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:00 pm

my guess is gingsing ficus because of the bulbous surface roots...

if you have 20 years to put into a tree, i would suggest getting something worth your time... i personally have never seen a gingsing become anything other than enjoyable for the owner, which is a good reason to keep it Wink

it will also be good for learning techniques on, such as pruning wiring etc...

but if you would like to stick with indoor trees, there are many varieties of ficus that can be much more rewarding from a design and style standpoint, along with being easy to grow and learn with.

a good source of material for you will be the american bonsai society's convention which is being held this year in grand rapids michigan, so depending on where you are in the state, it would definitely be worth the trip for the exhibit and vendors alone...

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Empty Re: Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling

Post  LanceMac10 Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:34 pm

I'll take the coin......

Echo Kevin's remarks......in 20 years it would be better if you barely remembered owning this.....this.....thing in a container. Laughing
These do nothing for me, good for a house plant. Sleep
Apologies, but there are SO MANY better plants out there. Confused
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Empty Re: just wired

Post  geo Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:33 pm

http://adamaskwhy.com/2015/08/25/im-a-real-boy-umm-bonsai/

Check this out.It's about the ginseng ficus roots.Not everyone tosses them.
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:54 pm

didnt say he should toss it, but learn from it... and that root technique looks like a really cool thing to try with this one...

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Just wired and cutback a broom looking ficus bonsai please help with identification and styling Empty Thanks for the help not my first bonsai it was a gift I hated want to grow to love it

Post  imaqtpa2t Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:35 am

Thanks for the help not my first bonsai it was a gift I hated want to grow to love it. Something to do in the winter while everybody else is outside resting. Good link Geo thanks for that. This one is definitely a mess around tree. My other ficus is still in the makeover stage I've had it for 25 years now, Still don't know what to do with it. Thanks for the reply's I think that show will be put on my list. Please keep them coming.

imaqtpa2t
imaqtpa2t

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:01 am

No expert here,

but I would suggest you look at the most decorative feature of this Ficus.
The roots.
Perhaps spend more time building the Design off of the roots as the Chinese do.

The branches and leaves of a tree are not always the most beautiful parts.
Roots can be lovely too.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric F Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:20 pm

Plant the cuttings, in less than 20 yrs youll have nicer trees. Its a "gensing" grafted f microcarpa if Im not mistaken. The link to askadam will help you a lot, imho. Enjoy...
Eric F
Eric F

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down