Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anybody tried cross grafting ficus?

3 posters

Go down

anybody tried cross grafting ficus? Empty anybody tried cross grafting ficus?

Post  john5555leonard Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 pm

hi everybody, has anybody tried crossing ficus benjamina with the common fig, i,v got a lot of the wild strangler fig in my garden and i,v been doing cut and grow on them for a few years and have now got big trunks with good surface roots and good taper, i,v just lifted one for bonsai and i,m waiting now to develop the branches and thought about grafting on benjamina branches. they should graft easily because when you cut the common fig they pump out lots of latex and heal quickly, and they do not bud back too much in old wood so should be easy to controle. has anybody tried it already to give me any tips . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

anybody tried cross grafting ficus? Empty Grafting Ficus

Post  bonsaisr Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Why? What's wrong with the leaves & branches of your native fig? Ficus benjamina is not that great a bonsai subject. Jerry Meislik has a chapter on grafting in his book, if you can get hold of it.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

anybody tried cross grafting ficus? Empty Re: anybody tried cross grafting ficus?

Post  bucknbonsai Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:58 pm

eric wiegart (spelling incorrect?) from florida has a video on this exact thing on youtube. If you were going to graft, use something better than benjamani, use microcarpa as it will backbud more reliably than benjamani.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

anybody tried cross grafting ficus? Empty Grafting Ficus

Post  bonsaisr Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 pm

It's Erik Wigert.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

anybody tried cross grafting ficus? Empty anybody tried cross grafting ficus?

Post  john5555leonard Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:32 am

thanks for the reply,s , you are right about benjamina, i,d already decided to use microcarpa tigerbark, because i,v got many already, iris the reason is the leaves on the common fig are very big and do not reduce well, and the tigerbark grows slowly, i,v had some in my field for 4 yrs and the trunks are only 3 inches thick , were,as the common fig i did from cuttings 4 yrs ago are 12 inches with root spreads of 24 inches, so combineing the 2 seemed a good idea . i can,t get english language books here, but i,ll have a look on youtube, thank you. as a point of interest i,v got one common fig that i intend to keep original that i did from a cutting 5 yrs ago and all i did was cut out a 12 inch thick section of a large tree , put it in a pot and it rooted

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

anybody tried cross grafting ficus? Empty Re: anybody tried cross grafting ficus?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down