Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blooming at my house today

+2
JimLewis
Jesse McMahon
6 posters

Go down

blooming at my house today Empty blooming at my house today

Post  Jesse McMahon Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:25 pm

this night blooming cereus is old and blooms at least once a year, but it's habit is to bloom at night as the name implies. usually the blossoms are open but mostly spent in the morning and wilted. this morning i noticed one of the blossoms was opening, and strangely enough the whole batch seems to be doing their thing during the middle of the day today. thought i would take advantage of the good photo op and share. hope you enjoy.

blooming at my house today 6283210663_2883027ea2_z

blooming at my house today 6283736500_9d9b45d961_z

blooming at my house today 6283210367_385bdec39b_z

the oncidium is also in bloom. as a bonus, here's a quick shot from today.

blooming at my house today 6283737962_8c15be9c04_z
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

blooming at my house today Empty Re: blooming at my house today

Post  JimLewis Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:35 pm

Loverly.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

blooming at my house today Empty Blooming at My House

Post  bonsaisr Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Sorry, it's not an Oncidium any more. That whole group has been moved to Gomesa. I assume that's Gomesa forbesii or a close relative.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Dontcha just love these constant changes just as you get the hang of one set of names.

Although I actually hope they do change the other one in Jesse's pics so I can say as John McEnroe would have said:

"You cannot be cereus!"
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse McMahon Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 am

Laughing that's about how i felt today watching it bloom under the noonday sun! good one!!

iris~i'm no authority here, so i'll be happy to defer to your clearly superior knowledge. Smile i know that the orchid in question blooms regularly, and all the tag in it has to say is 'hybrid oncidium'. i guess i'm behind the times enough to still refer to it as an oncidium...time to read some more books. thanks for the help!

and thanks, jim! i'll try to come around and visit some time soon if you're game.

sad to say that excepting the orchid, all those blossoms are now pitiful and wilted. ah well, we ARE headed into winter after all. thanks for the responses!
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:27 am

Great images!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:22 am

The cactus is Peniocereus greggii. If you label plants with indelible ink, have plenty of scouring powder on hand. You can label your orchid Gomesa hybrid. It has Gomesa forbesii in its background, as well as other species.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:26 am

The cactus is probably Peniocereus greggii, but there are several similar species. If you label plants with indelible ink, have plenty of scouring powder on hand. You can label your orchid Gomesa hybrid. It has Gomesa forbesii in its background, as well as other species.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Great pics! We had one of those ("night blooming cereus") for a while, it only bloomed once but what an amazing flower...

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down