Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bougainvilea 'pink pixie"

4 posters

Go down

Bougainvilea 'pink pixie" Empty Bougainvilea 'pink pixie"

Post  JimLewis Tue May 03, 2011 7:47 pm

May is always a good month for this little guy.

Bougainvilea 'pink pixie" 5-1110
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Bougainvilea 'pink pixie" Empty Re: Bougainvilea 'pink pixie"

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Mine is certainly a bit behind yours

what do you use for fertilizer with these guys?

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed May 04, 2011 1:37 am

They sell a special Bougie fertilizer but I use a product similar to Osmocote called Multicote which is 14-16-16 with minors.

I purchase it in 50 lb bags from BWI in Apopka, FL.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 04, 2011 2:18 am

I just had to hack mine back again tonight, my girlfriend asking.."are you going after that thing again?" The growth over the winter was all legs, bare spindly branches with growth only at the tips so Ive been niping and waiting for back bud then hard pruning back to those buds as the spring growth has been coming on. The other thing it did was drop every leaf from last year and make all new ones as the days lengthened much like a ficus might do but the tree did not change position.
this was a few weeks ago, I just reduced the top this evening. Tough lookin tree huh?

Bougainvilea 'pink pixie" Img_2621

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed May 04, 2011 9:24 am

Just to be clear. Man on the Mountain, your Bougie isn't Pick Pixie; note the differences in flowers and leaf size/shape.

They do grow fast, the variety you have even more than Pink Pixie. I am sure that growing them is much more of a challenge in Rhode Island than in Florida.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Arno Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 am

Does anybody have a picture of a bigger "pink pixie" that I could get a good look at, to compare for identification of mine.?. I think I have one, not sure. Are they the ones that the leaves kinda stack Vs. the regular bougies are more lateral? (does that make sense lol Razz ) Ill post pic tommorow

Arno
Arno
Arno

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed May 04, 2011 12:54 pm

Some characteristics of Pink Pixie.
1. More compact growth, not as viney.
2. I have only seen a pink/red variety - interesting note, at least, in my case, Pink Pixie in the greenhouse has much paler flowers than those outside.
3. Flowers closer to the stem and more within the leaves rather than above the leaves.
4. Leaves smaller, more rounded and with shorter petiole.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed May 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Mine is an outside tree except for December-Februay when it is a mostly ignored inside tree that gets very little attention -- including water.

As Billy says, there's very little "vine" about them. I use whatever the cheapest, balanced Miracle-Gro-like fertilizer happens to be when I shop.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed May 04, 2011 3:07 pm

I think because they are slower growing that just maybe Pink Pixie wood is harder that regular Bougie. (How is that for hedging?)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Bougainvilea 'pink pixie" Empty multicote

Post  HowardUSA Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 am

Billy,

Billy, You are right on about Multicote. Multicote does wonders for my bougainvillea, hibiscus and many other bonsai trees. My Bougainvillea sp. pixie (not pixie pink) had started to decline in 2009 and I didn't want to lose it. When I repotted the tree I put it in a 5" x 2 1/4" blub pan and started feeding it multicote. I didn't trim it much to let it gain strength, etc. The tree bloomed in May, late July and Nov. I will trim it good and repot it back into a small bonsai pot this winter. Enclosed are pics of it blooming in Nov 2011.

Bougainvilea 'pink pixie" Boug_n12
Bougainvilea 'pink pixie" More_p12
Bougainvilea 'pink pixie" More_p13

HowardUSA

Back to top Go down

Bougainvilea 'pink pixie" Empty blooming 2010

Post  HowardUSA Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:25 am

Sorry ...

The pics are from Nov 2010. I am so used to typing 2011 that I automatically typed it. It will take me a month to get used to typing 2012. jejeje

HowardUSA

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:51 am

Nice, it is NOT Pink Pixie. Watch out for rot in the wood, Bougie wood rots fast.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down