Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine?

5 posters

Go down

But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine? Empty But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine?

Post  wabashene Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Judge for yourselves via pics below.

I wrote an article about this a few years ago which is here

http://bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATJapaneseWhitePine.htm

The pruning/needle plucking method outlined there is very effective.

I cut loads off this at the weekend but it's still a little fluff monster and trending towards a bog standard Japanese style tree but I can live with that.

Any comments welcomed

thks

But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine? Jwp_oc10

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine? Empty Re: But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine?

Post  parabellum_9x19 Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm a super-noob in the bonsai world, but from my very un-educated eye, the 2011 picture looks much nicer than the older pictures...so take that for what its worth.

Very Happy
parabellum_9x19
parabellum_9x19

Back to top Go down

But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine? Empty Re: But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine?

Post  marcus watts Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm

hi,

i'd say more still needs removing to create actual branches in layers with the all important spaces between them. there are probably a few too many actual branches for a compact tree so the overall siloette is still one of bushy needles all over. If the main branches are selected and the pads wired down a little to make domes it will instantly look more tree like and refined.

very nice piece of material to work on though, and nice and healthy too.

best regards Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:41 am

Yes thankyou both.

This was purchased as a long term project tree and -Yes- there will need to be less of it ultimately.

I still need to pull a lot more needles in the strong areas this season

There is quite a lot of secondary branches developing now (red) would allow cutting back of the larger branches (yellow) and give a more compact image.

But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine? Jwp_no10

I also think it might benefit from being out of the Gordon Duffet pot (nice though it is) and in a pond basket , or in the ground even, to hasten development esp as this is not ready for a pot by any stretch of the imagination.

Possibly also a bit small - barely a foot high- to be really convincing.

60th B'Day coming up and I wonder if I could pursuade my wife to buy me a bigger one seeing as I seem to have acquired the knack of working with these
Wink

thanks

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 pm

one more dramatic solution
[img]But am I making any Progress with this Japanese White Pine? Img00011[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  hin175 Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Sure, the nebari isn't so beautiful, but I like it in informal upright...

A good example of work for many years... ThumbsUp
hin175
hin175

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Hello Mes amis.

Sebastian. C’est possible. Pas la première fois que quelqu'un a fait cette suggestion.

That’s about as far as I want to go in French.

Very Happy

I know you have at least one good shohin JWP posted here

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t4086-japanese-white-pine

so are aware of the strategies needed.

I've always seen this as an upright tree -as hin175-but it also has an annoying shallow "C" curve to the left all the way up which may need some radical treatment soon.

Thks for your input - much appreciated

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down