Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halogen Light

3 posters

Go down

Halogen Light Empty Halogen Light

Post  KevinC Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Have a couple questions, one, is halogen lighting any good for plant growth in dark areas.
And two, what is a good solution for using to clean water spots and deposits off leaves?

Thank you for any and all responses.

KevinC

Back to top Go down

Halogen Light Empty Re: Halogen Light

Post  JimLewis Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:18 pm

In my very limited experience with these lights, they're pretty darned hot. If they're too close to the trees that cause damage. I would imagine the spectrum is OK for plants, though.

Plain water ought to work on larger leaves a soft, damp cloth. If there are white alkaline marks, too, a very small amount of vinegar in the water would probably help.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:28 pm

hi,

are you planning to light up dark areas outdoors ? or is it for indoor growing.

halogen isnt the best light for plants- it is a complete spectrum type light ranging from ultra violet right through to the other end of the spectrum. For plant growth they utilise a narrow band of the spectrum - so using artificial lighting from metal halide lamps is better as the money spent on electricity all goes to the plant. Lamps with colour temperatures between 4000k and 7200k are needed(6500k closely matches sunlight). this will give very short internodes as the light is supplied directly to the plant so it doesnt need to stretch for inadequate light. to totally grow under artificial light long term results come from mixing 2 lamp types - sodium and halide - but supplemental lighting needs the 6500-7200k halide to promote vegetation.

leds dont do a lot, but the newer clf low energy lamps are good in 125-250w 6400k if used very close to the plants - 5-10cm - with a reflector. With all lamps the useable light output doesnt travel far though - 3-4 ft at most from powerfull lights (400w - 1000w) and just cm from low energy versions.

this winter i'm setting up the garage to protect a couple of very tender trees and i'll be using growlights on timers (8hrs) and keeping a stable low temperature with underheating.

hope this helps a a little

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down