Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To close to the light?

+2
Ryan
LittleJoe
6 posters

Go down

To close to the light? Empty To close to the light?

Post  LittleJoe Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:43 pm

I've moved them farther away from the T5 lights. The Black Olive is under a 48" 6 bulb T5. It raises the ambient air temp any where from 5-10 degrees under the light.To close to the light? Img_1210

The Boxwood is under a 24" 4 bulb T5. Are these signs of burnt or burning leafs? To close to the light? Img_1211

Thank you for your help.
LittleJoe
LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

To close to the light? Empty Re: To close to the light?

Post  Ryan Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:11 pm

How close were they before you moved them? Leaf burn due to being too close to the light is very common.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Ryan wrote:How close were they before you moved them? Leaf burn due to being too close to the light is very common.
6-8 inches. My Fikien Tea doesn't seem to mind very much. It's with the Black olive under the 6 bulb light.
LittleJoe
LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Boxwood seem to like NOT being in full sun, at least in the summer outdoors in eastern USA. They get yellow in sun, dark green in shade or dappled shade.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:29 pm

lordy wrote: They get yellow in sun, dark green in shade or dappled shade.  
I love "dappled shade."
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:54 pm

dappled is a word, right??
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

To close to the light? Empty Too Close to the Light

Post  bonsaisr Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:43 am

dap·pled - adjective
: marked with many spots of color or light

Joe, do you have a humidity gauge?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:50 am

bonsaisr wrote:dap·pled - adjective
: marked with many spots of color or light

Joe, do you have a humidity gauge?
Iris

Yes Iris,
The Black Olive is inside and humidity bounces between 25 & 50% (I a window half open). The Boxwood is in my garage and the humidity usually stays above 40%.

I'm using a weather station for these readings.
LittleJoe
LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Hard to tell from your photo, but high light would affect the youngest, most tender foliage first.

For the boxwood, it appears the youngest leaves are yellowing, for the box it might be too bright.

For the Bucida, black olive, the newest leaves are green. It is only the older leaves that seem to be dropping. I would guess light is not the reason. I would put the black olive back into the high light location. The older leaves dropping may be due to humidity or other reasons.

I keep high light plant close to the lamps. For my T-12 older style shop light fixtures the leaves can touch the bulbs. Shop light T-12 are best if all the leaves are less than 9 inches away from the lamps.

For T5 fixtures, the output is much higher and the lamps are hotter. I keep my high light plants at least 4 inches away from the lamps, but try to keep all foliage within 24 inches. Shade lovers can be as far as 3 or 4 feet away.

400 Watt HPS, needs at least 12 inches of air space to avoid burning. Effective growth for high light plants is within 3 feet for high light plants. Shade lovers can be as far as 6 feet away.

You can keep plants closer to your lamps if you increase air movement. I keep fans running 24 hours a day, in all my under light growing areas. (I have 1300 orchids under lights). This also helps with disease control too.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down