Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

unknown bug on azalea (y but not lace bug)

5 posters

Go down

unknown bug on azalea (y but not lace bug) Empty unknown bug on azalea (y but not lace bug)

Post  Reddog026 Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:11 am

Hello all, I have been readin this forum for many years now and i love my little trees. Most of the time i can find my bugs online and how to not have bugs any more. well today i was at a friend's house looking to scout out an azalea an air layer-ing and I came across an odd bug. maybe an egg sack? its soft and white fluffy but juicy stuck to the branch. it doesn't seem to be scale. almost like it was held in place by this fluff. seems 'bout 6-8mm long and 'bout 4 or so thick. any ideas?

thanks, reddog

unknown bug on azalea (y but not lace bug) 102_2812

unknown bug on azalea (y but not lace bug) 102_2810

Reddog026

Back to top Go down

unknown bug on azalea (y but not lace bug) Empty Re: unknown bug on azalea (y but not lace bug)

Post  bisjoe Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:15 pm

That looks like a cocoon. It could be a harmless butterfly or a moth, either way the larval form is the one that normally eats the leaves of your tree, after hatching they will fly away to lay eggs elsewhere.
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

unknown bug on azalea (y but not lace bug) Empty Re: unknown bug on azalea (y but not lace bug)

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:06 pm

I think it IS scale. There are lots of different kinds. Just squish it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Reddog026 Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:38 pm

it does look like a cocoon, however there are many but not like a scale problem. on the idea of scale, they do not seam to be affecting the health of the tree. eggs maybe?

Reddog026

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:40 pm

That could be a cottony azalea scale. Once I switch to "reply" mode, I can no longer see where a person is from, so, Reddog, this is most likely to be the case if you live in MD, NY, FL, AL, VA, or NH.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  Reddog026 Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 am

well on checking on Nina's idea, i googled cottony azalea scale and found a bunch of listings for cottony maple scale... odd to find them on an azalea. any way here is a link to the pic. please let me kn ow what you think.

http://www.vniles.com/Content/articlefiles/2085-Cottony%20Maple%20Scale%20Picture%201.jpg Very Happy

Reddog026

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Cottony azalea and cottony maple scales will be two different critters. Anyway, squish them or use a pyrethrin spray.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:52 pm

It isn't Cottony Maple Scale, there's a picture of that on our rogues gallery here https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/bonsai-pests-diseases-f9/rogues-gallery-with-a-few-heros-too-t528.htm - it's the 13th one down.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 pm

Cottony scales all look alike: cottony. The maple one is one maple, the azalea one is on azalea.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  bisjoe Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:28 pm

There's one way to find out. Carefully remove it to a jar with air holes and wait to see what comes out! Wink
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:47 pm

bisjoe wrote:There's one way to find out. Carefully remove it to a jar with air holes and wait to see what comes out! ;)

That'll only work if it is a cocoon -- which is is NOT. It is a scale insect. Crush it of spray it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down