Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is wrong with this Trident Maple

+7
coh
bonsaisr
rock
AdamG
Dave Murphy
Ryan
drgonzo
11 posters

Go down

What is wrong with this Trident Maple Empty What is wrong with this Trident Maple

Post  drgonzo Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Just take a look at this little guy and throw out an opinion as to whats ailing it, I'm trying to convince myself NOT to buy it but I'd love to know whats wrong with the poor thing.
-Jay
What is wrong with this Trident Maple Triden10
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with this Trident Maple Empty Re: What is wrong with this Trident Maple

Post  Ryan Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:24 am

Could it be receiving too much sun and its leaves are getting burnt?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with this Trident Maple Empty Re: What is wrong with this Trident Maple

Post  Dave Murphy Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:25 am

Hard to be sure, but could it be that the leaves are just beginning to show fall color? Any chance of getting a close-up of the foliage?

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:59 am

Fall color would work if the tree wasn't located in California, sorry no further pics. It looks like a chemical burn of some sort to me. There is some wilting going on too and I wonder about root issues?
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamG Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:04 am

Ryan wrote:Could it be receiving too much sun and its leaves are getting burnt?
I definitely agree with this. I bought a trident maple with the same problem early this summer and since then it has put on new, healthy leaves. Mine are out of the hot afternoon sun too.
AdamG
AdamG

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:11 am

And the burnt leaves display that sort of reddish orange effect?
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamG Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:20 am

Well...on second look, maybe not. This tree may have some more problems other than that.
If the price is reasonable I would maybe take the chance on this one.
AdamG
AdamG

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:28 am

Its $156, Its a field grown for ten years trunk reduction. Something in me is thinking skip it and usually when I ignore my instincts I lose. I thought I'd run it by the experts here to get a second opinion. Something Bill V. said at his open house has stuck with me "Bonsai is not a rescue mission" or words to that effect. If this thing were thriving it would probably be more expensive but who knows.
thanks for your two cents everyone I really appreciate it
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:56 am

drgonzo wrote:Just take a look at this little guy and throw out an opinion as to whats ailing it,
What is wrong with this Trident Maple Triden10

Very typical of late summer tridents in California. We put them out very proudly in spring and move them into hiding starting about now.

flutter eyelashes
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:56 am

Aside from the badly sun scorched leaves, where is the nebari? A trident, of all trees, with that developed a trunk, should proudly display a mature nebari. There is none, greatly diminishing the value of the tree. You can easily grow a new set of leaves, but you can't produce nebari overnight. Forget it.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:02 am

$156, does that include shipping?

I'll have to defer to those from California regarding the potential of this just being "seasonal" leaf damage - but if I was considering purchasing it, I'd ask the seller to do 2 things: (1) pull it out of the pot so I could see the roots, and (2) uncover the surface roots to see what the nebari looks like. Do you know if it was recently dug up and potted?

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:09 am

Chris and Iris:
I was wondering about the nebari too. They may be in deep to help fatten them up ...or not. Yes Chris it includes priority shipping which alone coming from CA to us up here is a long haul for a Maple. Let me see If I can ask about the roots. The seller blamed bad weather and poor water quality yet they are a long established bonsai nursery. I don't think its a credibility issue at all.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:16 am

the leaves that are going black on the lower right branch have a wilt like sooty fungal attack - started by root damage or rot, the leaves wilt, then overwatering as the owner sees wilting and thinks tree is thirsty, this causes too damp and humid conditions and the leaves blacken from the edges.

it will have nebari under the soil for sure, the trunk wouldnt fatten without - i think there are heavy roots under the soil but not much fine root yet, hence the leaf problems

if you buy it spray with bordeaux mixture to combat the spores, check the roots and remove any rotten black areas. i think the price is good tbo, and root flare on a trident is easy to improve over a few years.
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:45 am

You need to see the tree and search the base removing the gravel/soil to look for a nebari. Do not buy such a tree without knowing how the tree is from every angle. Also newer buy a tree at distance, but look at it up front and be sure it is healthy. The leafs surely looks sun burned, and if the seller did not take good care of the tree (when is it put in a pot, recently?), do not buy. Wait until spring and see if the tree is still around and then take a decision if it looks like in good health.

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:14 am

I would buy the tree...

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom McCue Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:45 am

If i'm wrong correct me but I think this tree is from George Muranaka nursery located in California. I have purchased numerous trees from him. He is 100% reputable and he sells quality stock. Send him a email asking why the leaves were turning brown. I am quite sure he will respond to your question. It does look like sun burn. His trees are field grown and probably just put in that pot and planted deep. He has sold on ebay for a number of years with a 100% rating. I'm not telling you to buy the tree or not. I'm just informing you of the seller if it is in fact George Muranaka
Tom McCue
Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

Post  63pmp Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Jay,

I'm with Marcus and Morton on this. I don't like the look of the black something on the soil just in front of trunk, and it looks nutrient deficient. I'm thinking it's been in the pot too long, the base is full of roots, and now causing low oxygen content in the roots, creating nutrient deficiency and blighty tips.

Really need to see the nebari before you buy.

Paul

63pmp

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Marcus and I are on the same page in immediately suspecting a root issue. Do to the proclivity for root rot among Maples I think this is a PASS. I wish I could see the tree in person but that would require flying to California. Lovely, sunny, California.

I'll keep in touch with the seller and If the tree is still around in spring and looks good we'll talk then, I don't think its going anywhere soon looking like that.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with this Trident Maple Empty interesting

Post  JamesRB Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:58 am

nice to know/see a bit more detail...but given the facts; i'd offer $95.00.

JamesRB
JamesRB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down