Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident Maple Leader

+2
bonsaisr
jimlau
6 posters

Go down

Trident Maple Leader Empty Trident Maple Leader

Post  jimlau Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 pm

I can't decide which leader to choose on this trident.  Or if alternatively I should chop it down low (I'm in zone 6, so not sure if it's too late for that option).

Leader A has a section of no-movement, no-taper, as highlighted, but seems a smoother transition from the lower section of the trunk.

Trident Maple Leader Triden10

Trident Maple Leader Gedc1210

Thanks.

jimlau

Back to top Go down

Trident Maple Leader Empty Trident Maple

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:40 pm

I would go with B. But be sure you arrange for the scar to be in the back.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Trident Maple Leader Empty Re: Trident Maple Leader

Post  JimLewis Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 pm

I think I would prefer to chop the tree at about 2/3 of the trunk ( at C) and grow more branches.  Those existing branches are pretty huge to grow that high on the tree as is.

Trident Maple Leader Jun10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:45 pm

I too would go with Jim Lewis's suggestion. 'C' perhaps even moving it an inch or two lower.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlau Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:50 pm

and go for a curved informal upright, or broom or formal?

jimlau

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Any style could work. I would wait and see what buds sprout. Let them grow out a season, decide later. Personally I think an informal broom style, goes well with maple. A graceful broom suggests a forest tree of medium age, and the smooth flow of your trunk and nebari says to me, forest tree of medium age. Brooms can always be modified later, with many revised designs possibilities, mostly just requiring removing a few branches. Its difficult to take a single trunk informal upright and change it into a broom. So I would think 'broom'. But that is my personal taste.

See what buds sprout. Anything will be possible, and the tree may "speak" to you better with the new bud and branch placements. Then the right style will be obvious.

Nice trunk and nebari, worth working on a few years to see if it can become a good tree.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Informal upright is also a good way to go with trunk chopped Tridents. Looking good so far.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 pm

it makes no real difference with a trident this young as the new growth will take off and the tree will basically look the same once the cut is healed so just cut off either one and work with the bit that is left - a yr or so later cut this one down to a stubb too and then you will have trunk taper
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down