Water-elm group - first year of training - a visitor stops by

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Water-elm group - first year of training - a visitor stops by

Post  Zach Smith on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:27 am

This water-elm was a messy clump when collected last year. It's grown quickly, giving me the opportunity to do much of the basic styling this year. Next year we should get a lot of ramification and begin the refining process.

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Re: Water-elm group - first year of training - a visitor stops by

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:35 pm

I like it a lot... although I am not a big fan of figurines. In my opinion, figurines (including the bronze animals) restricts the viewer's imagination.

I really like the naturalness of the trees a lot. If these are individual trees, then maybe this spring repotting you may want to reposition them in such a manner that they don't lie on the same line on a plane. Trees that are angled back and forward 'irregularly' give more depth.

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:47 am

suburbia wrote:I like it a lot... although I am not a big fan of figurines. In my opinion, figurines (including the bronze animals) restricts the viewer's imagination.

I really like the naturalness of the trees a lot. If these are individual trees, then maybe this spring repotting you may want to reposition them in such a manner that they don't lie on the same line on a plane. Trees that are angled back and forward 'irregularly' give more depth.

- S
This piece is from a clump that I reduced to three trunks in the spring. When viewed from the side, the trunks do not lie in front of one another, so this worked out.

I'm not a fan of figurines either, but on rare occasions Mudman comes out to enjoy the shade of a tree.

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:28 am

GO MUDMAN! Very Happy

You know, back when I was in college, I had this silly little juniper Bonsai, and underneath it sat a little mudman with a book folded open on his lap and I used to tell people he was studying philosophy.

That was MY major too......I kinda miss that little mudman. Sad

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Water Elm Group

Post  moyogijohn on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:48 am

Zack,, I like your group planting ,,of course,,i like elms.. i would keep the small trees short if it were mine..the major big tree branches thickenup..it will be a nice group soon...good work take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 am

moyogijohn wrote:Zack,, I like your group planting ,,of course,,i like elms.. i would keep the small trees short if it were mine..the major big tree branches thickenup..it will be a nice group soon...good work take care john
Thank you, John. I have been chasing back those little trees this year. I know exactly what you mean. And I should have the branches on the big tree to the right thickness in about two years. I think it'll work best if I don't let them get too long. Any thoughts on that?

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum