Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution

+19
cpt.
Dan W.
law
lennard
Neli
vanxeng
Floris
leatherback
giufo
Todd Ellis
Sakaki
bonsaisr
memet
luciano benyakob
coh
Jerry Meislik
Billy M. Rhodes
my nellie
cram
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Empty ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution

Post  cram Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:10 am

hello
today i will show you this work on a young ficus carica i took in my garden
the first pictures were in march 2008
i ve strapped the roots around the stone with an old bike's flat tire
cut the "trunk" to two sprouts
an i made the first wiring in july 2008
after i cut the pot each year a little bit more to put the new roots aronud the stone
the last pictures have been taken five minutes ago
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc02710[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc02810[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc04110[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc04710[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Empty Re: ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution

Post  cram Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 am

[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc05010[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Empty Re: ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution

Post  cram Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:14 am

[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc09810[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc00510[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc02612[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 am

[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc07110[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc09710[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc04711[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc05310[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:21 am

Cram, with such an interesting movement on branches and those nice future roots over the rock, I believe that we can forgive this fig tree the stubborn leaves that do not diminish so well! Don't you think?
Have you tried already any tasty fruits?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:25 am

[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc06418[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc06419[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc06420[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc06421[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc06422[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Dsc06423[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:29 am

arrg you re right....the leaves changes with reduction of their nice natural shape into an ugly thing
but ...i choose this tree because of his very well drawed leave
so i will try in the next years to reduce them a little bit by defoliation

no fruits...too young maybe?
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:26 pm

I have always felt a special attachment to the edible fig, although I would not go out of my way to eat one, Fig Newton’s are OK. Family tradition holds that my ancestors came to New Smyrna, Florida from the island of Mallorca as indentured servants to care for figs. The Englishman who founded New Smyrna was named Turnbull and the settlement began in the late 1700s during the brief period 1763 to 1787 when Florida was a British possession. The story continues that the Seminole Indians threatened the settlement and Turnbull took his family to the fort in St. Augustine. When he returned to New Smyrna everyone was gone. The indentured servants joined the Seminoles. We have always had at least one fig tree in the yard.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Cram

I also make trees on stones....But I use cottonyarn to secure the roots to the stone. As the roots grow fattens) the yarn will rot away, and leave no marks...every winter, is the rootball revired with the yarn. It workes very well.

What are you doing to prevent the vire, to make ugly marks on the root?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Cram,
I like it very much.
Billy, enjoyed a history lesson of your family tree.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:35 pm

thank you yvonne for the advice
but if you look well at the second picture ...i ve removed the wire to replace it by the tire Smile
and since one year i use teflon band (the white thing)...it is easy to use and it seems to work well
i ll be sure by seeing it next year when i ll remove it
but you re absolutely right...i will make like this for the next ones
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Mmmm, a truly ripe, fresh fig is one of the best things to eat! In my opinion, of course.

I like the way this tree is developing. The leaves are a bit large and "strange" in shape, but I think it contributes to a tropical feel which is appropriate for this tree. I hope you'll post a picture of it the next time it's leafless so we can see the branch structure.

I've got a couple of potted figs that we grow for fruit, but in this climate it's very difficult to get more than a couple of figs each season...so I've been thinking about converting one or both to bonsai. Thanks for the inspiration!

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sat May 26, 2012 7:25 pm

up ...after the new shoots cut
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution P1030817[/img]

on year more with the ugly strap on the base and i remove it ....
after.... maybe beto and moss?
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Fantastic...
Shabat Shalom Luciano.
luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

Post  memet Sat May 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I have always felt a special attachment to the edible fig, although I would not go out of my way to eat one, Fig Newton’s are OK. Family tradition holds that my ancestors came to New Smyrna, Florida from the island of Mallorca as indentured servants to care for figs. The Englishman who founded New Smyrna was named Turnbull and the settlement began in the late 1700s during the brief period 1763 to 1787 when Florida was a British possession. The story continues that the Seminole Indians threatened the settlement and Turnbull took his family to the fort in St. Augustine. When he returned to New Smyrna everyone was gone. The indentured servants joined the Seminoles. We have always had at least one fig tree in the yard.

Ä°s there a Neasmyrna over there. I'm living in Smyrna/Ä°zmir.
Your name, that means Rhodes island in aegean sea?
memet
memet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 27, 2012 2:39 am

Very nice Cram! the roots are holding well.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sun May 27, 2012 6:38 am

thanks luciano and jun Wink

what does mean your flag - avatar luciano?
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun May 27, 2012 3:08 pm

I really like the way this is developing and can't wait to see it with the strap removed. This would be good for the progressions forum.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sun May 27, 2012 5:35 pm

thanks sunny
actually..i am really surprise of the work of nature on the roots
i just put it on the rock and dispatched the roots around ...
to be honnest..i think ficus is really easy for this(especially carica)...could surely be harder with another type of plant

i also sometimes think maybe i was lucky with it Razz

cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun May 27, 2012 8:49 pm

cram wrote: ... ... to be honnest..i think ficus is really easy for this (especially carica)...could surely be harder with another type of plant
i also sometimes think maybe i was lucky with it Razz
Dear Cram,
I am convinced that it's just this exact species which is so EASY!

I have made two hard wood cuttings during the last January and they are thriving! I have already repotted them (because both were put in plain perlite) and the mass of rootlets was amazing!
I have planted one of the two cuttings upside down (for reasons of tapering) and it did gave a new shoot. However, this one was much slower to emerge its new shoot compared to the other cutting.
Well, now I know what is my next step with my fig tree cutting. Root over rock!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Mon May 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Dear Cram,This s the flag of state where i born in Brazil.
Ta star s because im Jew.
Shalom.
luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon May 28, 2012 6:53 pm

thank you luciano
i didn t know this flag ..that s why i asked this...symbolics details are always strange and interesting
the sun the rainbow and the sheeper s star...sounds good...which state is it?

yes my nellie...we are agree ...it is a good species for rooting on rocks
the only problem is to find the good variety who keep the initial shape of the leaves after reduction
most of caricas ...loose some "harms" of the leaves ...even until become round...and ugly

and it grows very fast....
it is impossible to let it alone...like milk on fire
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue May 29, 2012 7:41 am

cram wrote: ... ... the only problem is to find the good variety who keep the initial shape of the leaves after reduction
most of caricas ...loose some "harms" of the leaves ...even until become round...and ugly... ...
That is a very interesting observation you have made, Cram!
And I suspect that most of us are not aware of.
Thank you for sharing!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 pm

It is the flag of the state of Pernambuco, where is the first synagogue of the Americas.
be located at Nordeste region of Brazil.
Shalom Luciano.
luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution Empty Ficus carica

Post  bonsaisr Tue May 29, 2012 9:05 pm

There's a historic fig I didn't know about.
<<Congregation Shearith Israel, the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue in the City of New York, was founded in 1654, the first Jewish congregation to be established in North America.>>
The one in Recife beat them by 14 years.

Cram, does your little fig bonsai smell like you forgot to clean the cat's litter pan when the sun shines on it?
I'm not surprised that it does well as root-over-rock. Look at some of the pictures of roots of tropical figs. There are bridges in India made from nothing but braided roots of live fig trees.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add another comment.)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next