La Nina and Bonsai

View previous topic View next topic Go down

La Nina and Bonsai

Post  PkWk on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:42 am

The La Nina phenomenon has been occurring in this region for almost a month. All species in the plant kingdom over here simply love it.
My Buxus Harlandii are just too happy to give me thick foliage which I don't have enough time to defoliate them.
Here are some photos of my hamper trees with thick foliage waiting to be defoliated and reshaped.
(Please don't comment on the pots. They are all over size because I just couldn't water my bonsai everyday during the dry season. And my wife is reluctant to do it for me because she doesn't want to encourage me to keep on increasing the nos.)





This Okinawa Holly - leaves grown and covered the whole stem. Flower buds appearing all over! sunny


PkWk
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  MrFancyPlants on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Those are some happy trees indeed. Thank you for sharing.

MrFancyPlants
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  dick benbow on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Your comment about your wife's hesitancy to encourage your numbers, reminds me of my situation as well. When I'm gone I ask her to water and she'll ask how many. When I tell her about half of the numbers she'll upon my return give me an exact count. LOL,so i'm frantically cutting back now that I have become infatuated with shohin.

dick benbow
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  thomasj on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:31 pm

I wish I could say the same for La Nina, but it's been a long very hot summer here with watering no less than 3xs a day for me. Because of that my trees are still in real good shape, but I've heard of others here, even some being long time bonsai people losing most of their collection because of La Nina and her hot attitude. Very Happy

thomasj
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  carlos on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Thomas J. wrote:I wish I could say the same for La Nina, but it's been a long very hot summer here with watering no less than 3xs a day for me. Because of that my trees are still in real good shape, but I've heard of others here, even some being long time bonsai people losing most of their collection because of La Nina and her hot attitude. Very Happy

La Nina or la Niña?

carlos
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  rock on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:18 am

carlos wrote:
Thomas J. wrote:I wish I could say the same for La Nina, but it's been a long very hot summer here with watering no less than 3xs a day for me. Because of that my trees are still in real good shape, but I've heard of others here, even some being long time bonsai people losing most of their collection because of La Nina and her hot attitude. Very Happy

La Nina or la Niña?
Si tongue

rock
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  PkWk on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:31 am

We have El Nino phenomenon here 3 years back, hot and dry winds for almost 3 months. There was time I changed the smaller pots to big one.

PkWk
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  PkWk on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:34 am

dick benbow wrote:Your comment about your wife's hesitancy to encourage your numbers, reminds me of my situation as well. When I'm gone I ask her to water and she'll ask how many. When I tell her about half of the numbers she'll upon my return give me an exact count. LOL,so i'm frantically cutting back now that I have become infatuated with shohin.

Good to know you Dick. Smile

PkWk
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  thomasj on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:48 pm

That's right , la Niña. Very Happy

thomasj
Member


Back to top Go down

This is a Harland's Boxwood!

Post  jrodriguez on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:02 am

Now, these are harland's boxwoods!!

jrodriguez
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  GerhardGerber on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi

As far as I know La Nina and El Nino go hand in hand but has exactly the opposite effect - El Nino years means drought for us in Southern Africa.

GerhardGerber
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: La Nina and Bonsai

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:13 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum