Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bristol Bonsai Society Show

+7
Sam Ogranaja
alonsou
Russell Coker
Mark Cooper
Todd Ellis
Harleyrider
chris
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bristol Bonsai Society Show - Page 2 Empty Re: Bristol Bonsai Society Show

Post  Dan Barton Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:24 am

Mark Cooper wrote:Wow, that was fast Chris ! Thanks.

It was good to have seen you and Jerry. Hope you had a good day ?

Speaking as an organiser of the show, the show in terms of qualty of exhibits, and numbers of visitors, greatly exceeded my expectations. Hard to believe that such a long established Society hadn't had a show like that for a couple of decades. Maybe we should repeat it next year ?

Hopefully I'll get around to posting some pictures too, and details of our 2012 "mystery event" soon. Cheers.

I'll endorse Mark's comments — it was a very rewarding show and the BBS members all pooled together to stage a magnificent exhibition of trees and accent plants. Malcolm Darbon's powerful Swamp cypress (that has caused so much deserved attention) was created from garden center containerised plant material and is being styled in the image of a giant redwood (Sequoiadendron giganteum). It is approximately 4 feet tall and is planted in a Chinese pot. The BBS members agreed unanimously at last Tuesday's club meeting that we would stage another show next year in the same venue. The reason we haven't had our usual annual club show is because because we put on a major club display of bonsai for the past 7 years in the 'Festival of the Tree' event in the Westonbirt Arboretum but we have discontinued that and we will continue in the future in the Failand Village Hall. The Bristol Bonsai Society is indebted to Chris Thomas for posting such a comprehensive collection of images of the show..... thanks Chris, much appreciated, Dan
Dan Barton
Dan Barton

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks for the additional info regarding the cypress! The reason I'm so curious about its size is that I've got a couple of pre-bonsai trees that I've been thinking about trying to develop like that. 4' would probably be too large for my space (and definitely my car if I ever need to transport it) so I've been thinking about whether a similar effect could be obtained at a smaller size.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Barton Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:04 pm

coh wrote:Thanks for the additional info regarding the cypress! The reason I'm so curious about its size is that I've got a couple of pre-bonsai trees that I've been thinking about trying to develop like that. 4' would probably be too large for my space (and definitely my car if I ever need to transport it) so I've been thinking about whether a similar effect could be obtained at a smaller size.

Chris

Hi Chris,

This tree was much taller when purchased at the garden center and was cut back sharply at an angle, then a small branch was wired up to form a new 'leader'. If you look carefully at the top of the tree you can just make this out, so you should be able to apply a similar technique to your material tree.

Good luck,

Dan
Dan Barton
Dan Barton

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info about the top of the cypress. I could definitely train my material that way, the concern I have is whether the foliage size would work with a smaller tree. This one seems to have a good ratio of leaf size to tree size. I'm working with a coast redwood which I think has slightly larger leaves than bald cypress. Now, of course, I'm also thinking about acquiring a bald cypress.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Barton Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:03 pm

coh wrote:Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info about the top of the cypress. I could definitely train my material that way, the concern I have is whether the foliage size would work with a smaller tree. This one seems to have a good ratio of leaf size to tree size. I'm working with a coast redwood which I think has slightly larger leaves than bald cypress. Now, of course, I'm also thinking about acquiring a bald cypress.

Chris

What is the botanical name of the coast redwood? Is it Sequoiia sempervirens? If so, check out Mendip Bonsai Studio's website ( http://www.mendipbonsai.co.uk/ ).... my good friend John Trott has one that used to belong to me.

Cheers Dan
Dan Barton
Dan Barton

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Yep, sequoia sempervirens (guess it's always better to include the scientific name). I checked his website and didn't see it, though he does have a dawn redwood (metasequoia) on his show gallery page. I'll probably send an email. Was your tree styled similarly to the bald cypress? Do you have any photos of it?

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Chris, this actually something fairly easy to do with bald, or pond (T. nutans), cypress. I guess you've seen John's videos?? They pop branches like crazy.

Also, check out Bonsai Techniques II, page 52. John Naka shows the whole process step by step. This beautiful bonsai ended up in Germany back in the 80's. Haven't seen anything of it since - anyone know if it's still alive?

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Russell,

No, I'm not familiar with the videos - are they available on-line (youtube, personal website) or only as DVDs? And are you referring to the same John (Trott) that Dan mentioned?

Seq. semp. also seems to backbud very well on the trunk. I'm not worried about getting branches or structure, more about whether the leaf size will be reasonably in scale with a (somewhat) smaller tree.

I've also got a giant sequoia (sequoiadendron giganteum) that might do well in that style, though I haven't seen many of them used for bonsai...must be a reason for that...

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:34 pm

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm talking about this, https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t6768-working-on-another-bald-cypress , although it's about mature flat top cypress and not this juvenile cypress/redwood look. Still lots of useable info, though. Very easy and forgiving material to work with.

You need to see the one in Naka's book.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Barton Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 pm

coh wrote:Yep, sequoia sempervirens (guess it's always better to include the scientific name). I checked his website and didn't see it, though he does have a dawn redwood (metasequoia) on his show gallery page. I'll probably send an email. Was your tree styled similarly to the bald cypress? Do you have any photos of it?

Chris

Hi again,

Attached below is a picture of the 5 tall giants that I was reluctantly forced to sell as I was no longer able (for health reasons) to handle them — they were simply too big. The trees were sold to John Trott who still has some of them. The coast redwood is the tree on the righthand side and had only been in training with me for one year. I hope this picture is of some help.

Bristol Bonsai Society Show - Page 2 Big_fi10

Cheers,

Dan

ps..... I managed to find an earlier picky of the tree shortly after it was first styled, note how Malcolm used cable ties to hold the branches in place.

Bristol Bonsai Society Show - Page 2 Taxodi10

Last edited by Dan Barton on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Barton
Dan Barton

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Wow, what a great collection! It's too bad you had to sell them. I particularly like the sequoiadendron giganteum. Beautiful!

Thanks for posting that image.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2