Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue Atlas Cedar

+2
drgonzo
moyogijohn
6 posters

Go down

Blue Atlas Cedar Empty Blue Atlas Cedar

Post  moyogijohn Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:19 pm

This is a trade tree. Please give me information on what can be done, especially on the trunk!! Thank you very much-John
Blue Atlas Cedar Blue_a10
Blue Atlas Cedar Blue_a11

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Blue Atlas Cedar Empty Re: Blue Atlas Cedar

Post  drgonzo Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Is it possible that this tree could ever find its home at the center of a forest planting? That was the solution I had for a yamadori Beech who grew straight as an arrow yet was good material none the less.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:32 pm

I would not pull the leader back (atleast for now). The leader seems to make a good angle with the trunk anyways.

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Thank you both for replying,, the branch that is the leader now is held up by that white wire.. befor it was stright like the other branches....thank you take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Drgonzo,, I am sorry,,You ask about a forest planting.. these trees cost too much here for me to buy that is the reason i ask about maybe putting some taper in this trunk...thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:53 am

I was actually (originally) going to suggest possibly getting one or two others-skinny starter trees-that might be suitable to train in raft style for a few years then combine it with this tree for a forest, more bang for the buck, Oh price I understand completely.. I'm ALWAYS thinking on the cheap! When I see a tree with this gauge and girth of trunk yet burdened by being nearly perfectly straight I tend to think forest first, just cause I've both seen and have personally rescued a few just like this and turned what would have been a mediocre formal upright into an outstanding center pieces for a forest or grove planting. Plus the cedar forest plantings always just look so superb and ancient.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:05 am

what about whittling away at the bark opposite the new leader. Start with just a third of the way down the trunk as and exaggerated scar becoming thinner towards the soil line? I'd imagine it would take some time to age this wood, but it could even become a feature.

Last edited by MrFancyPlants on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:07 am

Could you look at the tree another way?

Would you consider an informal upright, with a change in the planting angle about 30 degrees to the left, leader directed 60 degrees from the trunk to the right. This would give you a nice first branch (first on the left) at the primary bend in the trunk. The leader appears to head towards the back in your picture, changing the front to your current back would bring the leader forward, a plus. The only downside is the large root on the right, which would be raised if you changed the planting angle.

For now, you could train the leader 60 degrees from the trunk, and let it grow freely, to 1/2 - 2/3 of trunk width. this will take you several years, but will help with taper you do not have. Consider change in planting angle at your next repot. Blue Atlantic Cedar are great, I have one now with nice developed pads that has coned for several years running, but is thinner than yours.

Best wishes, Josh
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:13 am

Josh has a good Idea and was the other option I also started to see after I made my last post.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  vev Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:53 am

a idearBlue Atlas Cedar 489210
vev
vev

Back to top Go down

Blue Atlas Cedar Empty blue atlas ceder

Post  moyogijohn Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Thank you mr fancy plants josh vev...You have given me opsions for this trunk i will really check out!! i will sit and look at it for a while now..i am not sure if i should start changes now or not?? vev good sketch you drew thanks again take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  aab900 Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Blue Atlas Cedar Tree10

How about this.Just my 2 cents .Let me know what you think ?

aab900

Back to top Go down

Blue Atlas Cedar Empty blue atlas ceder

Post  moyogijohn Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:06 am

AAB9OO ,, Your sketch is also very good...it would not be too hard to do that,,except for that fat root on the right..i was told it has a lot of roots on it...you guys have helped me and I THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH...I Just do not know when to try some of these ideas..thanks again take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down