Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fastest and Strongest Root System

+2
JimLewis
The Lad
6 posters

Go down

Fastest and Strongest Root System Empty Fastest and Strongest Root System

Post  The Lad Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:48 pm

hi All

Which outdoor Bonsai Trees has the fastest and Strongest Roots System

I have heard Of the Ficus Group and maybe the Trident Maple any other suggestion would be great to receive

I live in the Wirral Uk Zone 9 I believe)

thanks

Jim thelad
The Lad
The Lad

Back to top Go down

Fastest and Strongest Root System Empty Re: Fastest and Strongest Root System

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:24 pm

I'd vote for Maclura pomifera. I repot every year. This is what I had to remove in 2007.

Fastest and Strongest Root System 2007_a10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Elms. I just took apart an old planting of Catlin elms (a form of Chinese elm) that I recently purchased. Dainty trees with very fine leaves and branches, the largest trees about as big as my thumb. The roots, on the other hand, were fat and ropey. Looked like a pot full of snakes. My native cedar elm does the same thing.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lad Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks Jim for replying

That was some amount of roots you took of your Maclura pomifera . Whats the roots like now in 2011
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Russell Thanks for replying I take it ALL Elms have the same sort of Root System I have a few Chinese Elms and maybe an English Elm Is There such a thing as a Japanese Elm !!!!!
The Lad
The Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 pm

The Lad wrote: Is There such a thing as a Japanese Elm !!!!!

Well, there's Zelkova or "gray bark elm", in Japanese it's "keyaki". They also had Chinese elms (parviflora), but referred to them as "nire keyaki". I don't know if they are indigenous or not but it wouldn't surprise me if they ranged into the southern parts of Japan. Lots of hornbeams too, but I don't recall seeing any true Japanese elm species. Good question!

Apparently there IS a Japanes elm - Ulmus davidiana var. Japonica, or Ulmus japonica. Can't say I saw it there, or have seen it here.

R

Last edited by Russell Coker on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lad Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi Russell

I forgot The Zelkova I have been told one of my Hornbeans is a Japanese one but I know I do have a European Hornbean

Looks like I will have to do a search and have a look for images of a Japanes elm - Ulmus davidiana var. Japonica, or Ulmus japonica.

Thanks again

Jim thelad
The Lad
The Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Jim, is your question just a general interest one or are you planning on acquiring one of the trees people mention in response? It's just that you mention "outdoor" trees.

I would suggest that Ficus is a no-no in the Wirral (in most places in the UK) as an outdoor tree, and Trident Maples will not survive a bad UK winter. (trust me - I'm speaking from real experience as I lost a favourite one because I didn't get it under cover quickly enough last winter). Don't know about Jim's Osage Orange but again I'd be wary.

Also remember that Jim and Russell live in parts of the world where they see a lot of that big yella thing in the sky. In fact their night time temperatures right now are higher than our mid-day ones! Sad

We could always issue them with a challenge though: let's see if they can come over and grow olives outdoors in Motherwell. And not under Tam the local Bam's cannabis lamps either. Wink

Last edited by fiona on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because you only notice the spelling error after you click Send)
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Nope. No olives around here.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:05 am

weeping willow - fastest growing root system in a pot of any bonsai i know - can need two repottings a year

that would be fastest root growth - strongest depends on your soil, fertiliser, conditions and husbandry - in correct conditions nearly all our natives are strong - and i find all scale type junipers bullet proof too
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Spaans Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:38 am

In regard to someone's statement, osage orange grows here wild in lower Michigan, zone 5. No worse than -10F most of the time.

Ed.

Ed Spaans

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:43 am

The Lad wrote:Thanks Jim for replying

That was some amount of roots you took of your Maclura pomifera . Whats the roots like now in 2011

It's in a bigger pot now. I'm almost afraid to look, but I'll have to do it next winter.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lad Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi Everyone

First of thanks for all your replies and I will start of with Fiona's being the Young LADY well that's my excuse

Right Fiona I was asking the question in response to our as our almost 4 your old Grand-daughter as I am encouraging her to get involved in gardening and she always wants to get busy helping like all children at that age One Day last week she ask which bonsai grows the faster LEGS as she calls the Roots and i was snookered as I looked on line and like you say Fiona a lot depends where you live people will give you different Types of Bonsai trees in their region

So now it has me thinking if I wanted to embark on a project which tree what I use

The first time our grand-daughter got interested on her own accord was to start to clean to soil of a Ficus so i let her and ever since then she always wants to help with our bonsai Trees

Here is the first image of her

Fastest and Strongest Root System Meemee10

I agree with you Fiona the LACK of the Yellow Circle in the sky seems to stay away from our shores a lot

What a challenge people ofter Holiday homes SWOPS maybe someone could start up a Holiday Home Bonsai Care Swop the we all couls experience different weather temp for our Bonsai Trees

This is one of the latest images I have of MeeMee wanting to get involved helping with our trees

I know many would scring at the thought but our Tree will never be up to SHOW STANDARD but we enjoy them all and like to encourage all the Family got get involved being surrounded by ALL Females the little one is the most enthusiastic of the other 4 Girls and ladies

Fastest and Strongest Root System Meemee11

That all for now Gentlemen will get back to you all soon as We have a 15 day year old wanting attention and as the say " nobody should put BABY in a corner "

Take care all and thanks again

jim thelad

The Lad
The Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:17 pm

The Lad wrote: ...I will start off with Fiona's being the Young LADY ...
Jim son, you need to go to specsavers! Neither young nor a lady. Laughing Evil or Very Mad

I love the idea of a tree with "legs".

But to the task in hand: why not get her something that will grow quickly, be hardy and that you can surreptitiously "fix" if she doesn't quite get it right? You know, I'm thinking Potentilla here, and she would have nice flowers as well in the summer. You can get so many good "starter" plants from a garden centre and John Farrow used to have some really good ones that had been developed on quite a bit but which didn't cost the earth. And of course you've got Mr Warhurst, the Potentilla King nearby as well. The pruning and shaping will keep her and others busy all summer - I know mine do. You could even get a wee challenge going between all the siblings as you can get decent small potentillas in the garden centres. They could have one each. You could even persuade you Wirralite comrades to allow them to "show" them at Gordale next year with someone "judging" them.

Whatever you select, have fun - that's the really important bit.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lad Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi Fiona

Thanks for getting back to me NAW I have already been to Specsavers a few years ago before that i would probable would have said a Young Laddie But since i can see now to the end of my nose your a young LADY

Your suggestions about a Potentilla are good and I have just acquired one and a few cheap Chinese Elms that i am letting the wee lass loose on them. True We do have a few guys here with a soft spot for the Potentilla and Doug M was working on one at our last Sunday of the Month in July at GGC

At the moment i am surrounded by Females 5 in total from a few weeks old, then 4 years and the other 3 i better give their age away or i will be heading back up the M6 and across the border

We did have a few youngster at W-B-S but for some unknown reason they stopped attending but the idea of a Junior section sounds good to me

I agree with you we all need to enjoy our Bonsai and even pottering around the garden

Take care look after yourself and your Bonsai Trees

Jim thelad

The Lad
The Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down