Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

saving salvaged landscape material

5 posters

Go down

saving salvaged landscape material Empty saving salvaged landscape material

Post  David D Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding saving trees and shrubs that have been or are about to be removed. I have had several occasions where I had the chance to get material from demolition sites or landscaping but it is usually when it is over 80 in the summer. I try because it will just be discarded anyway but I would like suggestions on improving my odds.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

saving salvaged landscape material Empty Re: saving salvaged landscape material

Post  RKatzin Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:44 pm

When the opportunity arises, which as you say is most often the worst timing, get the tree back in soil as soon as possible, in the ground if possible, or into a large growing pot. Do as little to the tree as you can the first year after collection. These digs are not kind or generous, pure extraction, so be as kind and generous as possible. Lots of misting and shade till growth resumes, then bring it back to the light and begin feeding and watering regularly. On deciduous trees it is my habit to defoliate if the tree can't carry the leaves, on conifers and evergreens I generally don't cut anything unless it dies back. It's a crap shoot with these trees, some make it some don't, I take all comers, even if they are not good bonsai stock, with a little work they can be resold and then you can buy good stock.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:55 pm

I carry in my vehicles both large plastic trash bags, and a big old towel. If the opportunity arises, I wet the towel and wrap the rootball in it then put the rootball in the bag with the towel on it. It gives me a little extra time to get it good and watered and back into the ground. Pruning shears are with me too so I can reduce the foliage if need be to get it into the vehicle. Like they say in the Boy Scouts, "be prepared".
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:29 pm

If you have any warning at all about when the trees are to come out, try to have the hole for it already dug, or the pot or grow box prepared and redy for the tree.

If you just stumble upon something, you just have to work fast.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:32 pm

I appreciate your suggestions and will prepare a trunk kit tonight. I have been told that soaking in super thirve overnight helps, one have any experience?
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:38 am

I have actually done this before. Not sure whether it helped or not, but giving the tree a good drink is a good idea especially if it has been out of the ground for even several hours.
I know a lot of regulars here think Superthrive is snake oil. I know of quite a few veteran bonsai enthusiasts who use it. For what it costs and as far as it goes (small dosages) what have you got to lose? I find more fault with people who say it doesnt work than those who say it might work. Give it a shot. Cant hurt.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi Lawboy3,
When ever I am faced with this I will spray "Wilt-Pruf", an anti-transpirant spray, on the foliage to reduce water loss through the foliage. Spraying the foliage right before or after they are "dug" will instantly reduce moisture loss. I have had good results with pyracanthas which were collected in mid-Summer. These trees were ripped out with a back hoe. They were out of the ground for 4-5 hours (or longer), almost bare rooted, in 95 f degrees. I got them home and put them in 5 gal buckets of water and let the root balls soak for 2 days. I then planted them (all but one) in the ground. One was planted in bonsai soil; it died the next year. One died in the ground. One other died back but part of the trunk is still alive. The other three are growing like weeds.
I would use this spray on any type of foliage.
Hope this helps.
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:04 pm

I certainly agree on Wilt Pruf!

GOOD LUCK.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:42 pm

I greatly appreciate all of your input, I am about 3 hours from the nearest club and have little chance to interact with other enthusiasts. I am glad I found this forum.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:48 pm

most collected items I have dug need to have the top pruned off quite a bit anyway, and it is a good way to balance the size of the root system to the canopy. If the roots get cut back, the foliage should as well, just to balance the ability of the roots to take in a similar amount of water that the foliage gives off. The smaller the root system, the smaller the amount of leaves.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down