Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Salvaged Bougie

+2
Precarious
David D
6 posters

Go down

Salvaged Bougie Empty Salvaged Bougie

Post  David D Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:10 am

I recently salvaged a Bougainvillea which my daughter no longer wanted. She cut it back and dug it out of a large planter and gave it to me in an ice cream bucket. It has nice structure and would like to save it. We live in Zone 4 and I do have a lighting system set up for my few tropicals. I have left it in the ice cream bucket and punched a few drainage holes in hopes some of you experienced in Bougies could give me some sage advice. I anxiously await you replies.

Last edited by David D on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information)
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Salvaged Bougie Empty Re: Salvaged Bougie

Post  Precarious Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:30 am

Wish I could help but no experience with em. Good luck.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Precarious wrote:Wish I could help but no experience with em.  Good luck.
best reply... EVER ! Razz Wink Laughing

reminds me of a joke:

an iowan walks into a pub where a nebraskan is tending bar...
he asks the nebraskan for advise on what to drink

the nebraskan shrugs and replies:______________________________

i forgot the punch line...

(sorry david, but i couldnt resist !)

and rather than just hijack this thread with a punchline-less joke, i can say this (as you probably already know):

if you want it out of the ice cream bucket, you could "slip-pot" it into something more suitable for growing (but slightly larger, in order to not disturb the roots) and then leave it to grow to recover from the cutback... leaving any root work for the summer time (probably summer 2016).

i believe this is universal advice (but not very sage) for any tropicals being grown here in the mid/upper midwest.

hopefully the sages will now chime in Wink

(all this talk of sage is making me hungry with turkey day right around the corner !!!)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Give the bougie as much light as you can -- fluorescent a few inches over the plant for 12-13 hours -- and water very sparingly. They prefer soil that is drier than it is damp.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:50 pm

My bougie did very well in free draining soil under lights the past two winters. Give it some bougain and you will instantly see a healthier tree.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi David,
Bouganvillea do well under lights, if the light is bright enough. Or a good south window. If you are using fluorescent lights, I would use an 18 hour day length - all winter long. To some extent you can make up for lower light intensities (compared to full sun outdoors) with longer day length. Like Jim Lewis said, they don't want to be too wet. Otherwise they are pretty easy to keep growing through the winter.

When you have a larger bougie, with a trunk greater than 4 inches in girth, you might be able to just leave them in a slightly above freezing spot, bone dry all winter. That is what some do down south. But a smaller specimen won't store enough water to do this.

I personally keep mine growing all winter. This one is in a 2 x 2 x 6 inch cascade pot, my original thought was to make a long descending cascade branch, but so far the tree has not co-operated. This one lives year round under a 4 tube 48 inch long T-5 fluorescent, with 6500K lamps and 18 hour days. Bloomed nicely last April.

Salvaged Bougie Dragon10
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I did put it into a bit larger pot with some well draining soil mixture. I have it under a 4ft shop light and am using an old T5 aquarium light to supplement (14 hours on the shop light and 5 hrs on the t5 during the "midday "). I also read a suggestion about indoor tropical needing air movement and put a small fan on one end of the bench with it coming on 4 times a day for 1/2 hour per period. I wonder about humidity as it is real dry here in the winter and I don't know if the pot elevated above a pan of water will contribute much.

Last edited by David D on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:57 pm

By the way, I have never done tropical bonsai inside and am quite excited. I miss the damn little trees when they are under 2 ft of snow.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Ouch that hurt! How'd you like a cow poke!

I was responding to try and keep this gentleman's post 'up front' since no one had responded to it yet. Andre took us to task for not responding to people, and I didn't want this one to get lost.

Okay, okay, now I'm laughing too. No cow poke.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:12 pm

I wonder about humidity as it is real dry here in the winter and I don't know if the pot elevated above a pan of water will contribute much.

Don't worry. They like low humidity. NO drip tray, please.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Precarious wrote:Ouch that hurt!  How'd you like a cow poke!

I was responding to try and keep this gentleman's post 'up front' since no one had responded to it yet.  Andre took us to task for not responding to people, and I didn't want this one to get lost.

Okay, okay, now I'm laughing too.  No cow poke.

sorry man - like i said... couldnt resist and i reckoned your skin is thick enough elephant
and thats what you get for listening to andre about anything other than horti-arti-cultural subjects ! Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down