Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

workin the klu

3 posters

Go down

workin the klu Empty workin the klu

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:27 am

as a group , kauai bonyu kai has embraced the idea that klu (acacia farnensiana) has the potential to make nice bonsai. while we are certain that klu bonsai exist in Hawaii, none of us has personally seen a bonsai created from this material in the islands. This introduced and now naturalized shrubby tree has many attractive attributes. the foliage is airy and delicate, the wood very hard, the flowers are brilliant yellow puff balls morphing into pea pod like fruit. Natural deadwood is common. In many areas, klu has become a pest- growing so thickly, it dominates the landscape. To say that nice Klu grow abundantly on Kauai is an understatement. The best specimens for bonsai grow in shallow rocky soil, in areas constantly buffeted by strong wind. In this situation klu grow low to the ground and often have nice trunk and branch movement. Sharing a few pictures of a dig this past weekend. Everyone took home nice trees-from shohin size on up.

best wishes, sam

Hawaiians call light showers blessings from Akua, a portent of good luck.
workin the klu Dscn0910

workin the klu Dscn0911 lacy foliage is klu
workin the klu Dscn0912 hard to concentrate with this all around you.
workin the klu Dscn0914 Lance checking one out
workin the klu Dscn0916 Linda scored a nice klu and a really nice shohin casuarina
workin the klu Dscn0917 Abe scored a bunch of nice klu including this one

couple of mine. collected a few months ago, repotted/restyled today. #1. originally planted and styled as a semi-cascade. Before
workin the klu Dsc00910
workin the klu Dsc00911
workin the klu Dsc00913 After. Restyled as future moyogi shohin. Replanted in ceramic shell. Base. 8 inches left to right. Height 10 inches to be reduced to 7 inches .

Klu #2. Before. Base 8 inches left to right. Height 17 inches. workin the klu Dsc00916 workin the klu Dsc00917 After. Back becomes front. Tree rewiredworkin the klu Dsc00919[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15061647/1243]workin the klu Dsc00920

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

workin the klu Empty workin the klu

Post  Ka Pabling Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 am

Hi Sam

Very nice trunk movement,kiu is definitely a good materisl for bonsai just like the acacia farnensiana,,please post closeup pics of the barks.

Best wishess
ka pabling
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

workin the klu Empty Re: workin the klu

Post  kauaibonsai Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 am

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ka Pabling Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:03 am

wOW! these are jewels Sam, they are not so big but they show good bonsai characters! I wish we will be as lucky when we go hunting next month.

Best wishes
ka pabling

Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 am

Nice. Great trunk potential.
I'm klu-less when it comes to Klu. Smile I did try collecting a Sweet Acacia (Acacia farnesiana) a few years bad from a farm in Florida but it never worked for me and slowly withered. It budded back but only near the base. It was a pain to collect too as I had to go get two new saws while cutting it out. Very hard wood. Do you keep yours in full sun?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 pm

thanks ka pabling. unfortunately farnensiana does not grow to tree size here. mostly they are shrub size-many with nice character. klu are abundant on kauai. easy to find and easy to get.

hi rob. keep trying. they are easy to grow. treat like any other collected material. shade first then full sun. once growing strongly, I keep mine in partial sun. foliage gets thick, dark green, and significantly smaller. will post examples today. branches are easy to wire and bend-even larger branches. quite supple. I usually will bag the nicer ones to help with recovery. die back is not unusual. allow new growth to develop, pick a new line, jin what died and design a new tree. some of my best klu evolved this way.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:53 am

some pictures for rob. works in progress- acacia farnensiana, known in Hawaii as klu

best wishes, sam

kabudachi on nautural lava slab. long way to go yet, but heading in the right direction

workin the klu Dsc00932workin the klu Dsc00933[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15061647/1263]workin the klu Dsc01010[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15061647/1264]workin the klu Dsc01011

semi cascade on coral slab. work in progress

workin the klu Dsc00934workin the klu Dsc01012workin the klu Dsc01013

kiawe - proposis pallida
workin the klu Dsc01014

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down