Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

workin the stumps

+3
cosmos
Arno
kauaibonsai
7 posters

Go down

workin the stumps Empty workin the stumps

Post  kauaibonsai Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:51 am

work continues at the bougainvillea stump field. of the original 68 about 50 remain. all are growing like crazy. luckily ted's is less than 5 minutes from my house, so I take my tools up the road several times a week and spend time pruning, carving and repositioning the raw stumps for future bonsai development. todays effort will pay rewards down the road. sharing some pictures of activity at the field of dreams

best wishes, sam

workin the stumps Dsc08516workin the stumps Dsc08620workin the stumps Dsc08621workin the stumps Dsc08622workin the stumps Dsc08623workin the stumps Dsc08624workin the stumps Dsc08710workin the stumps Dsc08711[url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?
i=967&u=15061647]workin the stumps Dsc08712[/url]
workin the stumps Dsc08713
workin the stumps Dsc08714
workin the stumps Dsc08716
workin the stumps Dsc08717
workin the stumps Dsc08718

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

workin the stumps Empty Re: workin the stumps

Post  Arno Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:10 am

Hi Sam

Whats for sale and when can I get one Very Happy
No really, any chance of shipping to Maui. Smile
Arno
Arno

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi Sam
A timely rescue. I truly hope that all your efforts will pay off in the future. Keep us posted for I have been waiting for this follow up. Do all the trees have some roots? What mix are you using?

Regards
Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:04 pm

If keep bothering, many will die. Give time and time will give you back.

Best wishes,

Alex

Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  HIONBONSAI Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Looks good buddy! I need to make my way down.

Bryson thumbs up
HIONBONSAI
HIONBONSAI

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:44 pm

thanks for the responses, everyone.

arno: send me a pm. shipping to maui is no problem

cosmos: amongst the 68 stumps we found a variety of root conditions - from good to poor. we experienced 100% recovery, not uncommon for bougainvillea in Hawaii. the trees are planted in a 60/40 mix of soil and compost and are responding to regular care with vigor.

alex: thanks for your input

hionbonsai: come by any time you can

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

workin the stumps Empty workin the stumps - again

Post  kauaibonsai Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 am

spent several hours yesterday working on another bougainvillea stump. the task seems endless because we have so many, but we are making progress, one day and one tree at a time. the tree is planted in a 25 gallon pot which provides the viewer with some sense of its size. following are several pictures, before, during and after. in #1 the sides of the pot have been cut away revealing a trunk that is nearly as wide as the inside of the pot. the width of the base is measured in feet rather than inches. several large branches come off the base. the overall impression is a confusing mass of branches, cut stubs and new growth. #2 a notch is cut into one side of the pot and the tree is reoriented. some major wood has been taken off. including a 5 inch diameter branch in back of the apex trunk. #3 a broomstick size dead branch at the apex has become jin. in the event the rather delicate and vulnerable jin snaps, we have a backup jin created from live wood to the immediate left. the rising part of the cascade trunk at the far right has been taken off in favor of a dead stub hidden behind it. there are strong shoots growing at this location to create future branches and foliage. in #4 the work is nearly done for now. although difficult to see, usable shoots have been wired and placed. the tree will be repotted and left to get strong again. meanwhile, the newly carved wood will dry and be ready for finish work, sanding and wood preservation in the near future. enjoy the progression.

best wishes, sam

workin the stumps Dsc08719workin the stumps Dsc08721workin the stumps Dsc08722
workin the stumps Dsc08723
workin the stumps Dsc08724

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:42 am

Wow Boug heaven!!
Good luck growing season must be 24/7 in Hawaii Shocked Smile
shannon
shannon

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:59 pm

I think you are being much too invasive!!! The trees took a long time to be as thick as they are. Don't fight against time. Give them room to breathe.

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:38 pm

shannon and carlos

thanks for the interest and concern.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content