Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinus strobus or virginiana?

5 posters

Go down

strobus - Pinus strobus or virginiana? Empty Pinus strobus or virginiana?

Post  MrFancyPlants Mon May 25, 2009 9:35 pm

I picked this one up at a garden center about two and a half years ago. it was labeled as a EWP, but I think it may be virginiana. Could I tell by counting the needles?
When I first got him I saw off the bottom 3rd of the rootball and put it in the pond basket with some grittier stuff on the bottom and out sides. This spring I tried a backbudding technique that I picked up in Herb Gustafson's book: Bonsai Workshop. I removed all of the buds from the tree, this spring as soon as they started to elongate. New buds formed a month or so later, next to the trunk on many of the branches including at the base of one of the first branches.
He is way overdue for a real repotting to get the original soil out from around the base of the tree. I may try to do half this fall and half in the spring, although I still need to see how much strength it gathers over the summer. To be honest, I am not really sure where I am going with this design-wise and am very much open to suggestions, although perhaps during repotting the base that is currently covered will give me a better idea of where to go.
sorry for the lousy photo.. I was trying to snap a few before it started to rain.

strobus - Pinus strobus or virginiana? 100_0910
strobus - Pinus strobus or virginiana? 100_0911
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

strobus - Pinus strobus or virginiana? Empty Re: Pinus strobus or virginiana?

Post  kenduncan Tue May 26, 2009 11:48 am

From the looks of the bark I would say it is Strobus, Virginiana would have redish flaking bark. Strobus has 5 needles and Virginiana has 2 needles.
Ken

kenduncan

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Heath Tue May 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Stobus.

Will
Will Heath
Will Heath

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Wed May 27, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks for the help! Any ideas for the design? I will focus on the roots now that I have some back budding, so I have plenty of time to think about it, but I am guessing I'll be growing a new trunk from that bud at the beginning of the first branch.

Thanks again,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

strobus - Pinus strobus or virginiana? Empty freeze coming

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:33 pm

I repotted this guy at the National Arboretum repotting workshop last weekend and now we have temperatures dipping below freezing this weekend. Should I bring in for a couple days or leave it out? Unfortunately, I don't have a cold frame or any in the middle environment to put it in.

Thanks for any advice,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:04 pm

MrFancyPlants wrote:I repotted this guy at the National Arboretum repotting workshop last weekend and now we have temperatures dipping below freezing this weekend. Should I bring in for a couple days or leave it out? Unfortunately, I don't have a cold frame or any in the middle environment to put it in.

Thanks for any advice,
David

David,

I'd suggest that you bring it in when the temps are scheduled to dip below freezing. If your day temps are above freezing leave it out during the day and just bring it in at nightfall for protection.

RAndy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 am

strobus - Pinus strobus or virginiana? Image21}
strobus - Pinus strobus or virginiana? Image22}
strobus - Pinus strobus or virginiana? Image24}

A few years late and progress is slow, but I think it is coming along. I may even repot into slightly smaller pot this spring and try and plant it a little deeper while I am at it.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:24 am

Instead of going for the smaller pot I put it back into the pond basket to develop. My friend who is very good at wiring says he likes to wire this one since the needles are so soft. I've thought of going with a weeping style for this, but I know some pines like to have the tips wired in an upward direction.. Maybe an upside down pot?
strobus - Pinus strobus or virginiana? Image12
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:35 pm

MrFancyPlants wrote:I've thought of going with a weeping style for this, but I know some pines like to have the tips wired in an upward direction.. Maybe an upside down pot?

???
upside down pot ???
???

how do you mean ?
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Sometimes in order to encourage "cascading" growth on an apically dominant species, the plant and soil is strapped in and the pot is placed sideways or even suspended upside down. I don't know that I have seen a real convincing specimen by this technique and I am even less sure that this particular subject is suited for the technique, just an idea.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down