Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When to repot Pinus Virginiana???

4 posters

Go down

When to repot Pinus Virginiana??? Empty When to repot Pinus Virginiana???

Post  appalachianOwl Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:11 am

Hello all, title pretty much says it all. From the research I've done other people say they hear it should be treated similar to the mugo pine, but no specifics as to is this just trimming/training or the whole works. Looking for info from someone "whose been there and done that". I know it's not widely used (yet Smile) but it never hurts to ask. thanks- jacob
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

When to repot Pinus Virginiana??? Empty Re: When to repot Pinus Virginiana???

Post  JimLewis Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm far from an authority on pines, but I pot mine when I first see signs of candles forming.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Thu May 01, 2014 12:25 am

Hey thanks for the info Jim. If i do recall correctly from a former post this is the only pine (virginiana or otherwise) to grace your benches??
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu May 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Yup. It was a tiny one, and I lost it this winter from failure to protect it in its tiny pot.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Thu May 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Well...I have been trying different things over the last 5 years or so to answer this specific question... At this point I am still not convinced I have all the answers.

Here are some of things I have noted

They are very difficult to move from the ground to a container...I have tried this in the early and late Fall, late winter, early and late spring...with poor results. I going to try summer this year and that maybe the solution??

They are easier to repot from container to container...I have successfully done this in early and late spring... I also plan to try this in the summer this year.

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Fri May 02, 2014 5:03 am

oh no Jim, sorry to hear, it was a brutal long winter. Thanks for the info John. Do you mean "from ground" as in collecting, or after collecting and in the ground for recovery? Will under go the task this weekend.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Fri May 02, 2014 10:54 am

I was mainly referring to ones that I had in a growing bed and tried to move to containers... Years ago I collected several 2-3' seedlings and none survived collection(straight into pots)...So I thought I would try some younger/smaller ones. I collected about 50 seedlings(placed in a growing bed to recover)...around 12" tall. 40 survived collection and remained in my growing beds for several years. They grew well and responded strongly to summer pruning. All the experience I am referring to comes from trying to move those into containers. I tried moving a few at a time over the course of a couple years...ultimately, out of 40 only 8 survived going into containers....20% very disappointing. Although they are very susceptible to tip moth in my area, they appear to be immune to needle cast. But, I still think it is material with potential.

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Fri May 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Yes, very difficult to transplant from the ground. I was able to collect several small ones, maybe 2 - 3 years old in feb. larger ones, no luck.

Maybe we can collect them by cutting one side of the root ball and the other side the year later? I plan to try if I ever find something interesting.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Fri May 02, 2014 4:33 pm

I collected 2 February's ago.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down