Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dawn redwood care

4 posters

Go down

dawn redwood care Empty dawn redwood care

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:03 pm

a friend ordered a redwood forest and ask me about care ...i am mostly needing winter care here in w.va. .... can it be kept in a unheated garage with out light after it is dorment ???? general things like that...thank you take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

dawn redwood care Empty Redwood Care

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:54 am

Do you mean dawn redwood, Metasequoia glyptostroboides, or coast redwood, Sequoia sempervirens? confused Their winter care would be quite different.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

dawn redwood care Empty Re: dawn redwood care

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Dawn Redwoods , Metasequoia glyptostroboides, are deciduous conifers, like larch and bald cypress. They are very cold hardy and should do fine in an unheated garage over the winter.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  gregwentzel Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Dawn Redwood should be kept outdoors in winter. This is a deciduous species. They are very hardy but will suffer indoors. If you are growing the tree in a pot mulch heavily around the pot and make sure it gets a little water once in a while but do not over water during this dormant period. Heavy snow will not hurt the tree.
gregwentzel
gregwentzel

Back to top Go down

dawn redwood care Empty dawn redwood care

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Thank you Mrs iris,,Dave,,Gregwentzel,,, this will be redwood glypostoboides,,,,Thanks for the information,,I can pass this on to her and let it be mulched over in a protected area in her garden..thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down