Help for my poor Dawn Redwood

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help for my poor Dawn Redwood

Post  geomaster1 on Fri May 23, 2014 2:54 am

I have a dawn redwood that will not come out of its dormancy this year. I think that all the cold then warm then cold must of confused it. It started to get leggy and all budded up but has yet to bloom.  
There are a couple of new small branches at the very bottom that have started but the rest just will not. Any help would be appreciated.
I have had this tree two years now and this is the first problem I have had with it.

geomaster1

Back to top Go down

Re: Help for my poor Dawn Redwood

Post  JimLewis on Fri May 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Patience. It will do what it will do. There's nothing YOU can do to hasten the process. If it is budding, that is a good sign. I have some trees that just now are showing their first traces of green and I'm well ahead of you up in the dire northland.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Fri May 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Although our climates are different, I too have a Dawn Redwood that I thought was a goner. Until yesterday.

I suspect it has suffered from what you described as we too had a colder spell in April after a mildish winter.

This is the second reason why I don't rush to throw plants out. My first reason is sheer laziness.  Wink 

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Chuck-815 on Fri May 23, 2014 7:06 pm

I am in the Chicago area too .... be patient my redwood dawn trees are very slow this year. The harsh winter of extreme cold slowed them down a lot. A couple of mine are doing great and show vigorous growth while another couple trees wintered the same way are just starting to push out the spring buds.

My America larches are the same, some are just starting to pop while the others are in full growth.

Chuck-815

Back to top Go down

Post  beer city snake on Fri May 23, 2014 8:48 pm

weird... i am just across the cheddar curtain and mine have been going gang-busters for a while... i have a 5 tree forest and a 5 trunk blended... well, at least i hope the trunks are fusing  Suspect 

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

By the way, the name is Kevin
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

beer city snake

Back to top Go down

Post  geomaster1 on Sat May 24, 2014 2:14 am

JimLewis wrote:Patience.  It will do what it will do. There's nothing YOU can do to hasten the process.  If it is budding, that is a good sign.  I have some trees that just now are showing their first traces of green and I'm well ahead of you up in the dire northland.

So do you think that I should let it be for awhile before I thin out the branches and re pot? For some time it looked like it was coming along just fine and then we get that cold spell and I put it back in the shed for a couple of days. Brought it back out and buds came up but then stopped. Like it just got stuck. Branches still seem to be pushing outward but no green except for two tiny little branches close to the base.

geomaster1

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat May 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Leave it be.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  kirk@localbonsai.com on Sun May 25, 2014 4:48 am

Putting it in a sheltered greenhouse could raise the temp and potentially speed-up budding

kirk@localbonsai.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:52 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum