Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curvy Bald Cypress - First Training and Tips

+11
Byron Myrick
Randy_Davis
ironman
Russell Coker
Gideon
hirow08
Mitch Thomas
Todd Ellis
fiona
LordEOfBeckley
jgeanangel
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Curvy Bald Cypress - First Training and Tips - Page 2 Empty Re: Curvy Bald Cypress - First Training and Tips

Post  BrianG Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:38 pm

I agree with Russell. The top is looking great IMO the larger branches are arched down too strong. In my observation of the wild Bald Cypress 80-90 % of branches grow like the flat top... "inverted triangle" .. when they become too long or end heavy they droop or rainbow or even fair amount straight out.. but very few arch so drastic, though I have seen a few droop, it just not the common in the swamp where I live thats all. This is just IMO and I'm not tryig to critque I think your tree is looking great... This is just from my observations from my drive everyday to work and hundreds of fishing trips LOL.

I too am a big fan and subscriber to your youtube channel John .. I've learn alot from video's .... and thank you. Can't wait to see how that awesome crape myrtle is going to look the next spring.

BrianG
Ponchatoula, LA
BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

Curvy Bald Cypress - First Training and Tips - Page 2 Empty Re: Curvy Bald Cypress - First Training and Tips

Post  jgeanangel Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys...I certainly appreciate it!!

Brian...I long to see more natural trees both those that have grown naturally into a flat-top and those that have been traumatized into the look...Almost of all of the large trees in SC with that really nice flat-top form are the result of damage from storms ...I have tons of photos and of course have seen many nice trees in SC but I am always anxious to see more. I tivo swamp people just so I can look at the trees:) Thanks for following the videos!!

Russell...all the branches sprouted right after collection...so, within weeks of the same age as the cut...36 months. I truly appreciate your honest evaluation. I also struggle with the lower branches. I am trying some more natural looking positions on some of my other trees. I am also trying a clip and grow technique with couple.

To my reckoning, natural BC generally tend to have more straight branches with angular bends...less curves..I think this is also what Brian was pointing out. The manner in which I have wired this one tends to a more abstract personal perception of the style and less toward a carbon copy of a natural tree. I think this material really combines two features that are not necessarily seen together in the many natural trees...a huge fluted-base and the flat apex. The flat-top trees that I see are typically very tall with thin trunks with the V apex that you mentioned...much more like a couple of the trees Vaughn created and are now in big collections. I have seen a couple of giant ancient trees that were damaged and grew back to create a similar image to this tree but they are certainly the exception to the rule.

Thanks again for your input!!
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Curvy Bald Cypress - First Training and Tips - Page 2 Empty True flat top

Post  Mitch Thomas Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Hey John
I think you have hit the nail on the head with this design. The asymmetrical carving on top looks very natural and should heal quickly. It seems on these trees you get much more scar healing in th first couple of seasons the it really slows down. Keeping the wood sealed from water is the hard part. Once the wood starts to rot it never will close completely. But then again a nice hollow looks good too.

A good friend of mine and most of us following this thread has a very nice dead top/ flat top bald cypress he has been working on it for years. He had brought to a show, I don't know where. But there was a gentleman from Japan there criticing the trees. He said the trees design was just a mess and there is no way a tree would grow like that in nature. I guess he had never been to swamps to see these magnificent trees. Either that or they do not reconise flat top as a true bonsai style.

Keep on making your videos, we all love them. I wish we had a Bonsai channel on my satellite TV.

Thanks Mitch YBF

Last edited by Mitch Thomas on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks for the reply Mitch!!! The critique from the Japanese artist doesn't really surprise me... I like it when others show appreciation for the trees I create and care for, but, the bottom line is the trees only have to please me!! Thanks for the watching the videos...I think I have decided that I create and share those videos to satisfy my desire to teach others but at the same time they allow me to do it on my terms:)

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Curvy Bald Cypress - First Training and Tips - Page 2 Empty Bald Cypress

Post  Mitch Thomas Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 am

Hey John
Yea I hear ya! We are both on the same page, I too am one that's only out to make trees that I like from our indigenous trees, if others like them to it's a plus, I love to go out on a limb (pun intended ) and try stuff that I have not seen others do. Bald cypress is such a good medium to work with. Today I started a cascade that I have been wanting to do for a long time. Will it work I don't know but it's the journey that counts.

Mitch YBF

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Dystinction Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Add another admirer to your list. I really love the BC, and your work/techniques are well followed by me, as sometime in the future I hope to add one to the bench!

Keep up the great work.

Dystinction

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:37 pm

mitch, does your friend with the dead top cypress happen to be Joe Day? He brought a dead top flat top bald cypress to a show in asheville NC (not the one at the arboretum but a different one hosted by warren hill) about 15 months ago. There was a japanese judge there that basically wouldnt even look at the tree yet it was amazing and looked just like a hurricane damaged cypress that joe drove by every day on the way to work.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:11 pm

I'd love a tree like this in my garden. Sadly, my tallest specimen is still only around 18ins tall and 1/2in at the base, sigh.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 pm

BucknBonsai
Yea thats him. We all had a good laugh when he told us the story. Joe Day is a amazing Bonsai Artist and one of my many teachers/ Bonsai Friends.
Wow thats funny its a small world huh.

Now that I am thinking about it Joe probably did it on purpose just see his reaction, And if i know Joe he got just the reaction he was looking for. And another great story to add to his repitware.
Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2