Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celastrus scandens examples?

5 posters

Go down

Celastrus scandens examples? Empty Celastrus scandens examples?

Post  Randy_Davis Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Hey Gang,

Is anybody out there using American Bittersweet (Celastrus scandens) as bonsai Material. It grows wild here in Kentucky and I just got a nice one from a friend of mine and going to start playing around with it. Mine is a female so it should produce lovely seed capsules in the fall when it's dormant. Just took the first progression picture today. In case your wondering, I'm going to go literati on this one.

Randy

Celastrus scandens examples? C_scan10
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Celastrus scandens examples? Empty Celastrus scandens

Post  bonsaisr Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Randy_Davis wrote: Mine is a female so it should produce lovely seed capsules in the fall when it's dormant.
Randy

Celastrus scandens examples? C_scan10

Do you have a boy tree handy?
I think I've seen them as bonsai.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Celastrus scandens examples? Empty Re: Celastrus scandens examples?

Post  Randy_Davis Wed May 25, 2011 8:57 pm

bonsaisr wrote: Do you have a boy tree handy? I think I've seen them as bonsai.
Iris

Hi Iris,

Yes, I sure do. They grow wild in the woods around here so polination won't be a problem. I'll take a cutting of a male and put it in a container here on the table next to the female just to make sure.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Thu May 26, 2011 8:40 pm

bonsaisr wrote: I think I've seen them as bonsai.
Iris

I"ve seen the oriental bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus) but never American bittersweet. I'm actually suprised that it's not more common as bonsai material here in the US and Canada since it's such a common woodland vine. I would love to get a nice image of either one of them for the ABS reference Image Library (with seed capsules of course).

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Thu May 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Randy, here are a couple of shots of my oriental bittersweet from a show earlier this year.
I think these plants are great for bonsai. I've just pollinated (hopefully) this tree and another slightly larger female tree.....fingers crossed.
Good luck with yours I think it'll make a lovely tree, I like the idea of the literati, perhaps not too structured if I may be so bold.
Have fun.
Regards
John

Celastrus scandens examples? Pict0918
Celastrus scandens examples? Pict0919

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  jimenezl Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Hello,
Here's my newly acquired Bittersweet. Photo is about a month old. I have cut back growth and wired to make more compact. Should I just cut back hard?  
Thanks,
Luis
Celastrus scandens examples? <a href=Celastrus scandens examples? Bitter13" />

jimenezl

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:16 pm

One of our club members has an American bittersweet bonsai. It's a small, literati/slanting style from what I can remember; he brought it to a club meeting last fall. It had a number of fruits that hadn't quite opened yet.

There is a cultivar that is self-fertile, it is called "Autumn Revolution". I found one at a local nursery last fall and planted it in the ground this spring. It has set a large number of fruit.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down