Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID.

5 posters

Go down

The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID. Empty The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID.

Post  Liserd Fri May 06, 2011 11:53 am

Hello all

Yesterday i went to a big gardening center near my house to buy some soil mix and some wire and i decided to go and have a look at their nursery in the back of the center. Normally that part is not even open to public, but like i´m an old customer, they let me check it out.
I was actually looking for a pine to start working with, but in the dirt road that leads to the nursery part i came across this monster. It has been obviously envolved in some kind of accident in the past. The tree was actually tagged 70€ but didn´t have any ID. I called the girl that works there and ask how much did they wanted for the tree and what happened to the tree. You should have seen her face... Laughing What do you want that for? The plant was hit by a truck!
I said i wanted it anyway and she said i coul take it for free, like i was already buying some other things. WEEEEEEEE Twisted Evil

Initially i thought it was a Robinia, but the girl said it is a Albizia.
Nebary is 20cm.
Can anyone help with the ID?

Greetings
Mário

The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID. 06052011212

The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID. 06052011213

The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID. 06052011214

Liserd

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID. Empty Re: The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID.

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri May 06, 2011 1:29 pm

The growth seems to say Legume family, but no thorns so it isn't Brazilian Raintree. The Legumes are a very big family of trees, Royal Poinciana, what we call Ear Tree, etc.
Hard to say, have you seen fruit or a bloom?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID. Empty Re: The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID.

Post  Liserd Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Hello Billy

Thanks for your reply.
I haven´t seen it in fruit or flower.
Been doing some research on Albizia in Google and i´ve found some similar leafs and bark on some varieties, but i´m still not sure.
It has no thorns so Robinia and Brazilian Raintree are out of the options.

Greetings
Mário

Liserd

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri May 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Mimosa?

just a guess
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Fri May 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Mario,
I agree with Billy about it looking very much like it's in the legume family. Royal Poinciana comes to mine. So does Tamarind.

It would help to know what part of the world you are located in.

(EDIT) Woops. Just saw that you are in Portugal. Can't say I'm familiar with that part of the world. (Edit)
Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Fri May 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Here is what is on Wikipedia about Albizia. It looks right. Nice tree it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri May 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Ah, Albizia looks just like what we used to (apparently incorrectly) call Mimosa growing up in Florida. If it is indeed the same plant I remember the wood is pithy and rots at the drop of a hat, so try to heal up that trunk chop as fast as possible.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Liserd Fri May 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Hello all

Thanks for the help.
The wood it´s really very soft, I,m just going to remove the softer exterior material and seal the wound.
I don´t think it´s Delonix Regia, i´ve got some of them planted near my house and the follliage it´s a bit different.

Funny you call this Mimosa in Florida. In Portugal we call Mimosa to a really invasive plant called Acacia Dealbata wich it´s also not a Mimosa.

Greetings
Mário

Liserd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 11:09 pm

That definitely looks like Albizia to me,

Incidently I actually have a Mimosa Pudica as a house plant now THAT"S a Mimosa Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Liserd Sun May 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Helo all

Just tried to clean a bit of the rotten wood od the cut and this is what i´ve ended with. Shocked
The tree was very rotten inside, i´ve just used a small dremel with the wire brush.
I´ve sealed the wound the best i could because there is no way for the water to get out right now.

Greetings
Mário

The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID. Dsc0256bu

The Ultimate Bargain... Need help with ID. Dsc0257y

Liserd

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Sun May 08, 2011 2:59 pm

It looks very much like a Silk Tassel tree (Albizia) so I am very jealous, they are beautiful in flower, but when it flowers do not let the flowers get wet as they go to a soggy mush.

Have you thought about drilling a drainage hole through the bottom of the trunk? After sealing it the water can drain through into the soil.
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 08, 2011 4:32 pm

As Dave said just take a 1/4 inch drill bit and go right through from the bottom of that cavity into the soil, I've done it and it works great.

Back to top Go down

Post  Liserd Sun May 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks for the tip.
Will do that.

Greetings
Mário

Liserd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down