Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Black Pine

5 posters

Go down

My Black Pine Empty My Black Pine

Post  Lnatural Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:51 pm

My Black Pine Photo-18[img]My Black Pine Photo-22[/img]

I've had this pine for about 2 years. I got it sent to me blindly through a bonsai nursery. I feel like this is the best I could do with the material. there were a few ugly horizontal branches that had to get cut off, which left a bunch of knots in the center of the tree. I'm still not entirely clear on how to keep the needles short. I was planning on cutting the candles at the base sometime around June. All feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Last edited by Lnatural on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

My Black Pine Empty Re: My Black Pine

Post  Neil Jaeger Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Nice start. How big is it and how long have you had it?
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 am

If you're planning on cutting the candles make sure the tree is very well fed. It puts a lot of stress on the tree. Boon Manakitivipart at bonsaiboon.com has great videos on the JBP. I highly recommend them.

Good luck with it and please keep us posted.
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Landis Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 am

I personally would not candle this tree yet. Let it grow and develop some girth and vigor. Candling is to inhibit growth in some areas in order to balance the energy of the tree. This tree is young ....let it grow for a while. If you find that a particular branch is growing too much candle that branch only......but put this in the sun and let it grow!!
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  BONSAI_OUTLAW Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 am

If it were mine I would candle everything but one at the apex of the tree. That one bud that I didn't candle I would let grow real long.

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Back to top Go down

Post  Lnatural Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 am

Thank you all for the suggestions, what I was thinking about doing was candleing all but the one at the back of the apex and start to grow it up one more step to make 3 tiers. i want the other branches to get some back budding to make them fuller then start to extend the bottom tier. it's got some ways to go yet

Thanks, Lawrence
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down