Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cascade Casuarina in my new shed.

+27
GerhardGerber
Primelaw
darwin
marie1uk
Neli
Sam Ogranaja
dorothy7774
Mitch Thomas
yamasuri
CraftyTanuki
jolz
Poink88
Ferdie *
Fore
fiona
my nellie
dexworks
fM
Pavel Slovák
Rob Kempinski
Budi Sulistyo
daiviet_nguyen
moyogijohn
kimo
cosmos
Russell Coker
Ravi Kiran
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Cascade Casuarina in my new shed. - Page 4 Empty Re: Cascade Casuarina in my new shed.

Post  Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks Darwin!

Like I said in many of my replies, Bonsai doesn't have to be too scientific (no offense meant to anyone, AGAIN), Experience and logic will solve most things in bonsai. As for the rock assembly and to keep it in place that is the tricky part (I think), and I applied my Architectural and Engineering background to pull it of. The pot/tray were dropped from about two feet from the ground, two times during the transport and I thought the composition were ruined, but no damage happened, the rocks were intact and the tree still in a very stable position. If you would examine the position of the rock and tree in the previous pictures, It was moved from center to the right side to create more balance.

You could visit my garden anytime...It is you who are too busy...hehehe.

regards,
jun:D

Back to top Go down

Cascade Casuarina in my new shed. - Page 4 Empty Re: Cascade Casuarina in my new shed.

Post  Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:08 am

Neli,

Doing the root removal portion by portion overtime is the safest way to reduce root volume.

On Page one of this thread, you'll see a picture of me sawing the huge excess trunk beneath the soil line, but I did it without disturbing the more sensitive roots and the soil portions of the other part. and the tree recovers well without any diebacks.

Larger containers are the next best thing after ground or field growing, and there are lots of method to keep the roots in place while gaining trunk and  branch size. One of them is putting tiles or any medium that won't rot under the soil, place the tree material on top and the roots will grow freely sideways on natural ground, later on just remove the roots you don't need and you'll end up with a flat bottom tree with good nebari. Other means of doing it is in a regular pot and put huge holes under the pot or cheap container and let the roots grow in the ground under the pot/container. Another method is by letting the major roots grows sideways while the tree/bonsai is in the pot, then place a pvc pipe with soil and organic fertilizer on below the pot in a stand and let the roots reach the ground thru the PVC pipes...and there are other methods too.

Doing bonsai alone has its own benefits. Look, You don't have to worry about bonsai politics, You are for sure the best bonsai artist in your area, And you got the best bonsai materials just for you . hehehe. seriously though, I was in your shoe a few years ago. In my case, I just got out of my garden a few years ago. but before then, I learn entirely on my own , without teacher, or even books. and I think it serve me well ( I guess, hehehe). 

regards,
jun:)

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks You Darling. I have seen the  method with the pipes going to the ground...I even tried to modify it, and I am experimenting now with several trees with the same method. I was going to post pictures for you but dont want to clatter your beautiful  tree and thread.
The trees I am talking about were bought and grown just like that...so the roots must be very long, and there must be a tap root too. So Are you suggesting I just remove most of the soil...dont cut the roots except the tap root, put a tile, spread the roots and plant into a big container? Will that be safe?
Maybe I add a wire on the roots, tied at places where I want the root to brunch so if it thickens, the wire/tourniquet will cut the roots slowly and new roots will come out at the place of the wire later?
You did not tell me what You think about my other suggestions...like cutting the roots or ground layering them one by one. Will that be safe.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:22 am

Neli,

You are welcome, and yes they will work well.

regards,
jun:D

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:28 am

Very Happy
Thanks! I shall let you know how many I killed!Crying or Very sadVery Happy
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  darwin Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:08 am

Nice one Jun, I can easily relate again with you...unused to very scientific way of tending bonsai to learning through very practical method, no teacher, books, etc...and most of all the politics thing...hehehe which i begin to understand.

As i observe, the more i interact with "scientific" people in the bonsai culture, the more i got confused and unhappy. Maybe some of their point of views don't go the way i look at trees being a forestry graduate (given the tree physiology, ecology, and silviculture thingie background). Some of their way don't confine with the way nature should work. Some tend to look at the possible money and bonsai political value than to the ecological and natural point of view. Im not yet good in the artistic side as i am still trying to learn but i love appreciating the way how my materials respond to the way nature tends them to be.

Its good that i had the chance of meeting you accidentally at most time (UP, RBC show and ABFF) and got more practical pointers. Actually its not the time that hampers my visit to your place...second is the distance (my service vehicle can't transport enough number as i want to maximize your time, hehe) and first, don't have so much gut yet to show you what i have (my materials are way far from what you have, hehehe)..but  reading your post, these lines i read somewhere really applies: "rules are for stupid people to follow but serves as guide for wiser men".

I will be in Vigan and Baguio next week (hopefully i can get the pot i want for my semi-cascade and a handful of moss ill need for my penjing) then proceed to your place on the 29th or 30th? I hope your free to give me practical training then? Cheers.

darwin

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:53 am

Darwin,
Rules (guidelines) are to be broken only ones you learn and understand them well. There is artistic and horticultural meaning behind most of them.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 am

Hmmm, oh no, it's that R-word again.  If you take the cynic's view of history, you will quickly discover that "rules" tend to be imposed for the sole purpose of control.  In things artistic I much prefer the term "principles".  Rules are restricting and imposed according to one set of people's views, with the strong implication that to break them will incur some sort of penalty or punishment. Artistic Principles are better reflections of what actually is.  To wander outside them merely runs the risk of something that has no artistic beauty. But on the other hand, in applying the underlying principles in an innovative manner might just lead to the creation of a new masterwork.  I believe such application is what has given the world such a rich diversity of artistic forms and styles. 

And I think it is also telling that most of the horticultural text books that I use have titles along the lines of "The Principles of ..."
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 am

Yes Fiona, I agree with you...that is why I called them guide lines...I mean to apply them not so much for artistic side of bonsai...but more for the horticultural part of it. There is some good principle behind some of them. Like avoiding reverse tapper.
That is why I said...understand them first before you do away with them...so that you are able to avoid some negative aspects of avoiding them. The artistic part for me has more to do with styles and their forming...There you can go wild and express yourself. I dont believe art should be confined by rules. Not many have studied principles or guide lines of art...When you go to an art academy You study all this things like perspective...shadow...close view...distant view...In bonsai not many people are aware of all those..., but that does not make them stupid. That is why some of this principles are there to assist with creating harmony within a composition, without imposing restrictions on creativity.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Primelaw Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Amazing work Jun! I have yet to venture into the realm of the Agoho. I am looking at getting seedlings as I haven't really found material that appealed to me yet. Looking forward still to meeting you.

Primelaw

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:08 pm

fiona wrote:Hmmm, oh no, it's that R-word again.  If you take the cynic's view of history, you will quickly discover that "rules" tend to be imposed for the sole purpose of control.  In things artistic I much prefer the term "principles".  Rules are restricting and imposed according to one set of people's views, with the strong implication that to break them will incur some sort of penalty or punishment. Artistic Principles are better reflections of what actually is.  To wander outside them merely runs the risk of something that has no artistic beauty. But on the other hand, in applying the underlying principles in an innovative manner might just lead to the creation of a new masterwork.  I believe such application is what has given the world such a rich diversity of artistic forms and styles. 

And I think it is also telling that most of the horticultural text books that I use have titles along the lines of "The Principles of ..."

Just reviewed this thread and see this progressive discussion. It is better to be late (in reply) then never.

You are right Fiona. In Bonsai This "R" word is more of an R for restrictions than Rules. I am beginning to understand also its importance and help to some extent. I don't know if it is offensive to some people so my apology in advance. But in one convention outside of our country that I been to , we discussed this sensitive matter to the audience in one of the open forum. People that are more receptive to challenge the "Rules" are the one who are more artistics (based on their displayed works) and the ones that are trying to cling to this "R" words are the opposite kind of people based on their displays too. So, I think It is also ok if one followed this perceived established "rules" if the artistic side of the bonsai creator is not high enough and just wanted to create "bonsai" in the safest manner as possible and as long as he/she is satisfied and happy it is ok. But I also observe that the higher the artististry of the person the bigger the chance that they will understand that this "R" word are more of a restriction to creativity and the more they break away with it the more "unique" each tree will be.

regards,
jun Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi All

"rules are for stupid people to follow but serves as guide for wiser men".
I like that saying.

I like the "Rules", and I know that's because I'm not the most artistic person in the world.

Perfect example I think:
Like avoiding reverse tapper.
I have an Acacia erubescens that has and probably always will have reverse taper. If there was a "People's award" for trees in my garden, this tree has been winning the public vote for years.
Not my absolute favourite due to it's technical flaws, but if I squint my eyes and miss the base I understand what everybody sees Very Happy 

Very nice Jun.......as always Cool 

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Cascade Casuarina in my new shed. - Page 4 Empty Re: Causarina in my new shed

Post  armetisius Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:27 am

Sorry to be so late to the party; seems like everyone has been having fun though.
Initially, cool shed.
Secondly, this is one awesome tree.
Thirdly, congrats on the award it was well deserved.

armetisius

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:21 am

update...

Cascade Casuarina in my new shed. - Page 4 Dsc_0511

regards,
jun   Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Simon Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 am

Great work Jun. Been following this for a while now.
Keep up the great work.

Brett
Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:21 pm

That is remarkable progress in a small time frame. The tree is looking fantastic. Well done!
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:57 am

Thanks!

Just few more time thickening of branches and twigs.

regards,
jun  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Cascade Casuarina in my new shed. - Page 4 10345710

Cascade Casuarina in my new shed. - Page 4 10349910

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:03 am

jun

this tree has really turned into something special after so many different iterations. credit to you for not settling until you got it right. the tree is so healthy and green. looks like a mountain pine.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4