Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Is this normal?

2 posters

Go down

Help! Is this normal? Empty Help! Is this normal?

Post  Fluffii Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi there,

I got a bonsai tree from Katsura Garden in Japan Town of San Francisco, at the end of January this year.. It says in her little pot that she is a moss cypress.

Anyways, it almost looks like there is mold growing on her little rock and planter. It's kind of fuzzy white. She's kept in the window in the pantry, a large window facing east, so she gets sun in the morning. It doesn't get hot in there. I water her every 2-3 days or so, when her water tray under her is close to dry.

What am I doing wrong?? I have never transferred from her original pot, and am unsure as to whether she should be outside. It had been raining really hard a while ago, and it can get cold. Should I put her outside in the morning, and bring her inside in the evening? She was a very pretty dark green when I got her, and now the tips are kind of lime green (But she still is very dark green overall). Deeper in, some of the lower branches look kind of brown.

Please help, I've been looking through all the noob guides, and I haven't a clue what to actually do. Help me save Bonzy Sad

Fluffii

Back to top Go down

Help! Is this normal? Empty Help, is this Normal?

Post  bonsaisr Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:18 am

Oh, dear, sold with the wrong instructions as usual. If your tree is a bluish green, it is Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard.' In San Francisco, it should be outdoors all the time. At this point, put it outdoors & only bring it in if it goes below freezing (this spring only).
The fuzzy white is either mold or excess salts from fertilizer or tap water. Do not water on a schedule. Water only when the soil starts to dry out. Water copiously from the top.
The tree should be repotted in free-draining proper bonsai soil. You should be able to get it easily.
The tree should be in full sun all day long. The branches are turning brown from lack of light. You need to keep the top thinned to get sun at the bottom.
Join the local bonsai society.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:20 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Correction)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Help! Is this normal? Empty Re: Help! Is this normal?

Post  Fluffii Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:12 am

It's not very blue, I'll take a picture of her tomorrow, if possible. She kinda looks like a mini christmas tree. I was on vacation there, I live in Redding. It's raining now, and it gets to 115ish degrees in summer.

Thank you for the watering tips, I'll remember that. I'll find her a place outside as soon as it's sunny, and buy her a new pot as soon as possible. I guess I'll ask for "free-draining proper bonsai pot" and hope they understand what I mean. Do I need to get her more soil? If so, what kind? How much bigger should her pot be?

Thank you so much for your help.

Fluffii

Back to top Go down

Help! Is this normal? Empty Help, is this Normal?

Post  bonsaisr Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:09 pm

It is still probably a Chamaecyparis, but a picture will help.
Your tree will love the rain (put it outdoors now), but may not survive 115 degrees (46 C). You really need to find some local bonsai people.

<< I guess I'll ask for "free-draining proper bonsai pot" and hope they understand what I mean.>>

They won't, unless it's a place that specifically sells bonsai pots. You need soil that is specifically made for bonsai.
The length of the pot should be two-thirds the height of the tree.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Help! Is this normal? Empty Re: Help! Is this normal?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down