Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this normal for Chinese/Siberian elm seedlings?

2 posters

Go down

Is this normal for Chinese/Siberian elm seedlings?  Empty Is this normal for Chinese/Siberian elm seedlings?

Post  PeacefulAres Fri May 03, 2013 6:06 am

I've never attempted to grow either species from seed before, so everything is a learning process for me at the moment. I decided to try growing some of my seedlings in the ground, and others in cups(Styrofoam coffee cups with holes in the bottom). There really isn't a lot of difference in terms of size, but the ones in the ground are growing lots of side branches, despite only being about 4 inches tall, while the ones in the cups are just growing straight up. Is this fairly normal behavior, or is something else at work?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Is this normal for Chinese/Siberian elm seedlings?  Empty Re: Is this normal for Chinese/Siberian elm seedlings?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 am

I wonder if the growth is a factor of light rather than ground v. pot?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Is this normal for Chinese/Siberian elm seedlings?  Empty Re: Is this normal for Chinese/Siberian elm seedlings?

Post  PeacefulAres Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I wonder if the growth is a factor of light rather than ground v. pot?

That was my first thought, but don't think it's light. Both area get almost exactly the same amount of light. Shaded in the morning until around 11 a.m. and then full sun almost until sunset. The seeds in cups aren't crowded either. If this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I won't worry about it. It just seemed sort of peculiar, and I know that plants will sometimes grow differently if there is something wrong.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down