Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pine grafting

+3
Neil Jaeger
Pavel Slovák
peter keane
7 posters

Go down

pine grafting Empty pine grafting

Post  peter keane Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Hello

Here's an example of pine grafting. I've attached six japanese red pine shoots to an american ponderosa pine. I don't happen to like the look of the ponderosa pine needles. To me, they are too long and messy. I was going to use mugo pine. After browsing Michael Hagedorn's blog last month, I was inspired to try pinus densiflora.

I've done several grafting projects before. I have placed trees in a humidity tent instead of wrapping shoots with plastic bags with moss. I've also been practicing with wrapping the graft wound and foliage with parafilm tape. There's a brand I like called "Buddy Tape" sold by A.M. Leonard.

This is the first project using the moss and plastic bag method. Honestly, I wasn't sure if the end of the bag is supposed to be sealed so the environment is air-tight. Will Baddely and Candy Shirey set me straight on that. Thanks guys.

pine grafting Dsc_0112
pine grafting Dsc_0113
pine grafting Dsc_0114
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

pine grafting Empty Re: pine grafting

Post  peter keane Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 pm

The tree is being cared for in an inexpensive camping tent inside my sun porch. As night temperatures are in the twenties and thirties here, I've set up a small heating fan controlled by a thermostat set to seventy degrees (farenheit). I've had to drape a black plastic bag over the southern side of the tent to limit the amount of sunlight reaching the shoots. The ponderosa is bright because of my camera flash. It will go outside in the shade when the temparature is more stable. Today, I'm going to graft mugo pine to another ponderosa Very Happy

pine grafting Dsc_0115
pine grafting Dsc_0030
pine grafting Dsc_0031
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi Peter

Very good work.ThumbsUp I look forward to the photo later, when the tree will grow.

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

As being very new to bonsai, i can't thank you enuff for the information with the pictures. Being new of course means not having axcess to alot of the material and tools (well at least for me). I can,t wait till some day i can perform such "experiments" on better material. Thanks again.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  jupp Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Good work. I'm curious to the further development. Please Updates
jupp
jupp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:10 am

Hello Peter. So refreshing to see the set up rather than the end result. Hats off.

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:56 am

Would you mind sharing how Will and Candy set you straight? Is the end of the bag is supposed to be sealed so the environment is air-tight? Thanks!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:04 am

I have had the most success by wrapping the scion into a snug bundle with the end open. I originally saw it in Bonsai Today a few years ago. As the candle grows it pushes out the end and the needles expand. It is easy to prep the scion and seems to keep it moist enough.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 am

Peter - thanks for detailed photo instructions too. Very clear.

Regards
Morten Albek

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Would you mind sharing how Will and Candy set you straight? Is the end of the bag is supposed to be sealed so the environment is air-tight? Thanks!

hi Todd

Both Candy and Will agreed that it's not easy to tie the end of the plastic bag to make an air-tight seal. And it's best that the scion has some air circulation to prevent fungus from forming in the plastic bag. Candy had pointed out that during aftercare, the moss is going to need hydration with the use of a syringe. Since the syringe is making a hole in the bag, there would no longer be an air-tight seal.
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Here are a few other threads w/ pictures describing different grafting techniques if anyone wants to see another take on grafting pines.

http://bonsaistudygroup.com/advanced-grafting-discussion/grafting-using-parafilm/
http://bonsaistudygroup.com/advanced-grafting-discussion/japanese-black-pine-approach-graft/

bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down