Skull rock from Lake Champlain.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Skull rock from Lake Champlain.

Post  ChrisA on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Another rock I found in Mallets Bay, VT. Almost looks like he's wearing a helmet.

ChrisA

Back to top Go down

Re: Skull rock from Lake Champlain.

Post  Chris Cochrane on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 am

Hi Chris... Looking for an option to mount a suiseki-style landscape view, I'll offer an alternative which raises the most interesting area of the stone, which is nicely weathered. This could be a "head cover stone" kaburi-iwa-- a stone with little base (floor) under an extending protrusion (roof) suggesting a place for take cover from weather. Such stones must sit with stability in a daiza or suiban & should not be represented by a leaning stone cantilevered by a daiza. See text Unkon Fu (publisher Golden State Bonsai Federation) for drawings of a head cover stone compared to a shelter stone.

A " 'shelter/rain shelter' stone" yadori/amayadori-ishi has a more substantively extending floor. As noted in the Covello/Yoshimura text (p. 41,italics mine):
Shelter Stones (Yadori/Amayadori): The concave shape of these stones suggests a shallow shelter or temporary refuge formed by an overhanging cliff. To be classified as a Shelter stone, the floor of the shelter should be at least partially visible.
Head cover stone...

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:55 am

Hi ChisA

A very nice dramatick stone...I look forward to see, how you decide to display it. How big is it?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Landis on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Neat stone. I agree with Chris.

Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisA on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:51 pm

I like your idea Chris, but I really like skulls. It is also very slim and I think it would be difficult to make a base for it.

ChrisA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:52 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum