Ryan ------- elms -- elm roots

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ryan ------- elms -- elm roots

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Ryan,

elms for you.

I give these away as gifts, there are too many children.

Cut roots planted 6 weeks later sprouting this year 2011 - shoots 4 or 5 days old.

1st year - same mother and note the large root - selected shoots
Note the smaller root, smaller leaves naturally - saved for growing

Older root about 99 or so - I think ?
I gave it chlorosis, and didn't look after it, trying to make up.

Mother - as Jun said seems to be going in the same direction - we will see ???

2nd Mother --- hollow trunk - thanks Will B.
Branches thinned for this year.

The weird root child of 2nd Mother --- grows circular branches.
Branches thinned for this year.

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Re: Ryan ------- elms -- elm roots

Post  my nellie on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Those are for Ryan, but I also do thank you Khaimraj!

my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Hee hee Alexandra,

you can return the serve with Olives, olives, olives - chuckle.
AND you are most welcome.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Wow Khaimraj! Those are awesome! I had no idea you could do something like that with elm roots. I knew it worked with Willow Leaf Ficus roots, but not with these! Those are some thick roots/trunks in the first picture. Thanks so much for posting!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:17 pm

Ryan,

you are welcome. Cut an elm root, only about 1 and 1/2 inches [ 4 cm ] is needed - actually you can always see how short a cutting will work.

Anyhow, make up a coarse stony soil mix and plant. The roots become more interesting. The larger the pot the bigger the root or you can ground grow, remember to place a clay tile and the roots will stay on the surface for a longer distance.

What I wanted to tell you was, as long as you are happy with the elm you have, you need never buy another one, or be forced to airlayer another ugly S Chinese imported tree again.
I use only elm roots to obtain new trees.
This one I can say ------- have fun in late spring.

You can also purchase a cheapo elm only for root cuttings.
Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks again Khaimraj. How big were the trees you got these roots from? I feel like the small mallsai looking trees like I have will not have roots like those, due to the size of pot and the size/age of the tree. Although, I have not quite repotted it to see what kind of roots are in there. Maybe I'll do that today.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Ryan,

if you want to experiment, do so on expendable trees please. Follow Mrs. Cohen's advice on your specials.

The biggest root probably came from a tree with a 3 to 3.5 inch [ 7.5 to 9 cm] trunk. I am preparing another elm to show John [ moyogi]

However, please note I use a 55 us gallon black plastic barrels usually cut to 1/3 for growing pots. When cut they are 2 feet [ 61 cm ] in diameter x just over 1 foot [ 30.5 cm] and filled with a coarse soil mix.

Years ago I placed either 1/4 inch [ 7 mm ] or 1/2 inch [ 14 mm] thick root and within a year it was 3 inches [ 7.5 cm ] wide as the trunk went and about 5 feet [ 152.5 cm ] tall,going on memory here, notes are elsewhere. I reported this on IBC e-mail as well, someone may have the note.
I suspect that was in 6 months as well.
You may wish to prepare a spot and try.

I also use grow troughs, that came with house, so I can plant and forget it for x years.

Okay, when you have mastered growing large trunks [ please remember you will get old and trees over 18 inches tall [46 cm ] will at some point be unmanageable for one man] and if you grow only large trees, hire some yardmen.

In 5 years or so we can talk about keeping the branches and branchlets fine, and thin.
You can teach me.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:51 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum